Recommended height for rear centre's.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nick.H, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

Howdy,

Im thinking of changing to a 6.1 or 7.1 system, Just wondering should the rear centre's be the same height as the front centre channel?

Cheers

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would think you would want the rear center(s) the same height as the side surrounds. I can't find information on the dts or dolby site to back this up, but I think it's correct. But try it both ways and see which sounds good to you, or if necessary do whichever looks best or works best in the room.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: From Dolby Labs website ... Adding Dolby Digital EX to Your System
    [​IMG]
    If you use a single rear surround speaker, center it behind the listening area at the same height as the side surround speakers, preferably above ear level. If you use two back surround speakers, which give a more diffuse and natural surround effect, they should be at least four feet apart (creating an included angle of about 90 degrees to the listener), also centered behind the listening area and at the same height as the side surround speakers.

Phil

4. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I have found that putting the rear centre speaker at the same height as the front centre seems to work. However my front centre sits atop a 57" Tshiba widescreen which puts it up rather high. I have noticed that you can get sounds occurring from back centre to front centre or vice-versa (eg. Gladiator) and this makes the placement quite effective.