Recommended DVD Players for $2000 or Less

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MikeTz, Dec 29, 2003.

1. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

I want to upgrade my Sony DVD (DVP-NS315, about $130) to something with excellent video/sound. I don't need a progressive scan machine, SACD, or many bells and whistles. The machine will be used exclusively for movies and connect to my prepro through its component video and digital audio outputs. What are the best choices at or below $2000?

I will use it with the following system:

Krell HTS 7.1
    Bryston and Krell amps
    Vandersteen speakers all around
    Runco CL-710

MT

2. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Nobody has any suggestions? Can't be true! I've looked at the Denon 2900/5900 and was impressed by both. What about Sony, Marantz, Arcam, Pioneer, and others. What are the best "bang for the buck" players out there?

MT

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Sorry, man, $2000 for a DVD player is a bit beyond the means of most of us so I figure there's not a lot of exposure.

I checked out both the Denon 2900 and 5900 on a Pioneer Elite 65" RPTV at the dealer once and, needless to say, the PQ was pretty damn nice. The Pioneer probably factored heavily in there, though.

4. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Yep,$2k for a DVD player w/out prog scan will be quite rare?
    Why don't you like Prog scan?

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'd guess that he doesn't need prog scan because he already has equipment that will handle that part of the video processing.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I own a Sony DVP-S9000 ES that has been discontinued. This has a very good picture and sound. This model retailed for $1600 but I got it open box for $840 with a 10 yr extended warentee thrown in. The Sony ES does both DVD and SACD but if I had it to do over again. I might have gone with the Denon with the video buffer. To eliminate hickups during layer changes and purchased a stand alone SACD later. Not sure why you would not want progresive scan? Do you have a line doubler or quadroupler? Or does your projector not accept progressive input? I am guessing that you mainly listen to movies. If you are into music I would highly suguest a multi platform dvd/sacd or dvd/sacd/dvd-a player. Besides it kinda hard to avoid them as many of the players offer high resolution audio as a selling point.

DVD Players to check out:
    Denon DVD-5900 - Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Super Audio CD Player • Powered by the latest DCDi by Faroudja FLI-2310 Decoding Engine, Adjustable Chroma Delay and Level, White/Black Levels, CCS On/Off controls, 8x Oversampling Progressive and 16x Interlace output, 8MB drive buffer memory, Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz PCM/DSD 1790 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD, 24/96 compatible digital outputs. MSRP $2000

Adcom GDV-850 - Progressive Scan (480p) Video, and high resolution analog audio, 192kHz DVD Audio Playback, Field-Adaptive Deinterlacing, 24-Bit/192kHz DACs, 32 Bit RISC DSP, MP3 Playback, Also operates seamlessly in a Crestron system environment. MSRP $1000
    Dont let the price tag fool you this dvd player is awsum.

Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVi - 14-bit, 216MHz video digital-to-analog converter (DAC), Burr-Brown Chipsets, A Pixel Conversion IC that automatically increases the pixel count from progressive 480 x 720 to an amazing high-definition progressive 1280 x 720, or 1920 x 1080i, DVD-Audio (DVD-A) and Super Audio CD (SACD) Playback, High Definition Multimedia Interface, Bass Management System. MSRP $1600

Sony DVP-NS999ES - Single Disc SACD™CD Player, DVD Player, CD-R/CDRW Readable, 14-bit video Digital-to-Analog converter operates at 108 MHz. MSRP $999

Marantz DV-4800 - From DVD Audio and Video (both interlaced and progressive (with 3:2 pulldown), pure digital output (DVI w/HDCP and finished it with an RS232c terminal for customized automation control, DVI-D Output (25 pin with HDCP), All Copper Chassis, Ulimate versatility - plays DVD video, DVD-A,DVD-R, DVD-RW SACD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP-3 based CD-Roms and Video CD, 6ch Analog Audio Output: x1, Component Video Output: x1, 192 kHz/24-bit Audio-DAC by Cirrus Logic Inc, Audio “Bass-Management” function for SACD, Double-Layered Chassis Construction. MSRP $1699

McIntosh MVP-841 - 192kHz, 24-bit digital-to-analog audio converter, 12-bit high-resolution digital-to-analog video converter, Progressive scan component video output(480P), Switchable component video out, 480P/480i, 2 digital outputs (optical or coaxial) for Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM Data Streams, Balanced XLR stereo analog output for superb two-channel performance, Fast and Quiet Mechanism with Digital Servo, Plays DVD-RAM, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, CD/Video and CD-R/RW discs. MSRP $2750
    Although this player is alittle over your budget, this matches the quality of your Krell and this dvd player is rock and roll!

Good Luck and lets us know how everthing goes and what your choice is.

Happy New Year [​IMG]

7. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Dave has given you some great choices. If your projector or scaler has a DVI imput, the new Pioneer would appear to be a great choice for improved video.

8. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

9. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My original post was not clear on a few points. I already have a Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player so that format is not needed in a new DVD player. As several of you guessed, my Runco projector has a pretty good video processor so I don't need a progressive scan DVD player (unless the DVD player has a better video processor than my Runco and fits within my budget).

MT

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Prog scan is the norm now even on low priced players.
    All players offer a switch between interlaced and prog outputs,so you can decide witch way you would like the picture better.Keep in mind though that keeping it in interlaced introduce one extra conversion into the system.DVI is the way to go these days ,however the rael reason to use it to match the projector's native resolution,say set both to 720p for example.

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Mike,
    Even though the Denon and Pioneer Elite models have Progressive scan and SACD, I would still consider them for their video performance. The Pioneer Elite 59 is $1,500 list and the Denon lists for $2,000. I highly doubt you'd be dissapointed in either of those. Personally if I had a choice I'd jump all over the Pioneer Elite and buy some software with the remaining but that is only after I compared the 2 head to head.

12. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Shane:

The Pioneer does sound interesting. The question I'll have to answer is whether the unique video processor in the Pioneer is better than the processor in my Runco projector. I may have to bring the Pioneer (and maybe the Denon) home for a trial run.

MT

13. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

there's a head to head comparison of the pioneer dv-59avi and denon dvd-5900 over on avsforum. the general consensus was that the denon came out on top. i'd suggest you look at both first. i have the dvd-5900 on order and hopefully it will arrive before the middle of january. good luck in your search.

kevin t

14. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If going with progressive scan you can also look into a Samsung HD1000. It weighs 37.5 lbs., plays DVD-Audio, HDCD and can upconvert the video to 720p or 1080i over its component outs (has another set of component outs that do 480i only as well as an 'S' connection and composite). It does not have a DVI connection.

15. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have seen the Denon at CES on a 35K CRT projector with a Farudja digital scaler and the picture was awsume. This was on a 160" screen if I remember correctly. So the Denon IMHO definantly has the quality. I have no doubt that the Pioner Elite is nice as well. But I dont think the Pioneer has the video buffer that will eliminate layer chage hickups. Also do yourself a favor and check out the McIntosh it is a very nice unit. But I honestly think the Denon would work out fine for your application.

16. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

If it were my money, I'd buy the Denon 5900. It's a very, very attractive unit. I've got a friend with the Marantz DV-4800 and he loves it.

For your budget, just about everything you're going to find that does DVD is also going to be an all-in-one player, except for the McIntosh, since that seems to be the trend. It's the whole idea of the value add.

17. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

I can vouch for the Arcam DV88 Plus ($1599, $1999 for the DV89 w/DVD-Audio).

It is progressive, but you can set it to output interlaced NTSC instead.

I love this player. Excellent black-levels, outstanding sound, great quality picture. I have a ISF calibrated Samsung DLP and movies look terrific. I had a $900 Marantz progressive player before, and it didn't hold a candle to the Arcam. I lot of places where I saw dithering (and thought it was poor DVD quality or charachteristic of the monitor), disppeared with the Arcam.

And if you like DD/DTS effects, the audio on this player is just incredible. And even with loud effects you can still discern dialog from the center channel (assuming good speakers to match).

Another surprize benefit I discovered is that when I play non-anamorphic DVDs (like Armageddon) and have the display zoom the DVD image to fill the width of the widescreen, the picture still looks really good. With my other player, it would look grainy and washed out.

Now I'm not so depressed about my older letterboxed DVDs.

Dean