Recommendations within my Speaker Budget

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TerryT, Mar 12, 2004.

1. TerryT

TerryT Auditioning

I'm building a HT setup and I'd like recommendations for 5.1 speakers in the $1,500 +/- range. Size constraints in placement limit me to bookshelf type speakers. My room is 13'x 22'. My current favorites are B&W DM601/LCR60/ASW600. Use will be 40% tv, 40% DVD, 20% music.

2. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

You could check out the Rocket ELT package at AV123

Michael

3. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a good combo to me, though I would say if you can swing it, I would look into an HSU or SVS subwoofer instead of the B&W. B&W's subs is very boomy. You really hear it more so than anything else. Which if you are used to car stereos, you might like better. To me, I like not knowing the sub is there and doing anything unless you put your hand on it, or feel the bass and hear stuff rattling/room pressurizing.

Your call though. I think you'll get a better quality sub for the same price if you look towards either one of those companys.

4. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

If the B&W are your farorites, go for it! We listened to them before buying and they make very nice speakers. We ended up going with Boston because they were our favorites.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

You may also want to have a listen to Ascend Acoustics

Also visit the Ascend Forum for some good info.

There is a nice short article on the Ascend/Hsu combo in the April edition of DVD Etc.

Also check out Axiom .

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi TerryT. Is $1500 your limit for the 5.1 package? Sub and five speakers? I just want to be sure I understand what your asking.[​IMG]

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd personally recommend the 602s over the 601s, and I agree with sinking the cash into an HSU or SVS sub, maybe even the Adire Rava. I have an HSU VTF-2 and I am very happy with it.

8. TerryT

TerryT Auditioning

steve nn, you've got it right. I'd like to spend around $1500 for the front, center, rear, and sub.

Guys, I'm not necessarily set on the B&W 601 speakers, those are just the speakers I liked best of the ones I've heard.

I could try the 602s and I know that I would probably like them better than the 601s. But that would push the speaker system closer to $2000 and over my current budget. Also, the 602s are pushing bookcase size IMO.

And I have been reading up on alternatives subs. It sounds like the SVS are the best for the money.

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I'll second checking out Ascends.

10. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

Terry,
    When you say you like the B&W the best, what others have you listened to? This may help narrow down your likes and dislikes.

We compared the 601 and 602 to Boston CR and Energy C3. I liked the sound of the B&W but prefered the Boston and Energy. My wife, a music teacher, did not like the B&W for music. She said they had some holes in the frequencies. Something about not being able to hear the echo of percusion in a classical music piece. Between the 601 and 602, I definately liked the 602. If you look used, you could stay in your buget with the 602.

11. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

You might also look at Paradigm. I auditioned the B&W's when I was shopping for speakers, but prefered the sound of the Paradigm monitor series.

12. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    Terry, I recently got the Totem Dreamcatcher system, after demoing B&Ws, Energys, and Bostons. The ssytem includes 4 identical main bookshelf monitors, a centre channel, and a subwoofer. I opted out of their sub in favor a (an?) HSU STF2. Still in setup mode, so I can't say how things have broken in, but I am very please with their sound. The speakers are both handsome and sounded beautiful in an extended demo. The Totem's sans sub were $1,200 (with a set of custom wall mounts for the rears). If you have a local Totem dealer, they are worth a listen.

Be sure you budget for cables, wires, connections, they are nickel and diming me to death! Good luck