Recommendations wanted toward new golf bag

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam Bluhm, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I already have the irons. [​IMG]

My bro and I found a killer deal on ebay, so we couldn't wait until Christmas. A new sets of 855's is my early gift and I love it.

Now I'd like a stand bag. We walk the courses and never use carts, so something light and tough will be desired. I'd like to spend no more than $70. I also don't want to buy a piece of garbage. [​IMG]

Recommendations? I came across some affordable jobbers but do not know if they'll fall apart in a few shorts months.

Golfsmith Stand Bag

Izzo Stand Bag

Also, I'm not sure if Golfsmith.com houses the best prices. I'm sure I could find nicer bags listed for cheaper prices if I look enough, or if someone leave me a tip. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tim Brewers

Tim Brewers Agent

I have a couple of the Ping L8+ bags and have had very good luck.

Brew

3. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=1257736

i have an older callaway bag that i paid about a $100 for. i didn't like the ping bags at the time...the callaway was bigger and just as light so i went for it and have no complaints, both my dad and brother have the same bag

oh yeah, nice clubs...have you got to play a round with them yet?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Nice irons[​IMG] I bought a set of 845's this summer and love them. I also picked up a Tommy Amour bag as well but its hugh and meant for a pull cart...looks sharp though and has a ton of space on it

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'd go for the Izzo. Good quality for the buck.

B

6. Adam Bluhm

Mike,

I had a motorcycle accident late July and tore a tendine in my left thumb. However, its healing well and I can now do a pretty good swing. It pisses me off because I shot a wonderful nine holes of golf the day of my motorcycle accident.. and it was my first time out in over a year!

Well, seeing as I found these for under $240 (3-PW + SW + GW) on ebay, my brother told me to buy it now right away so we didn't pass up the opportunity. It's an early, very early Christmas gift. [​IMG]

We've had a lot of rain here recently in Ne PA and the ground is very muddy and soft, but I did take the shrink wrap off the nine and gave it a few practice swings and hit one ball (conservative swing, as my thumb is tender). It felt very comfortable, balanced and the shot was dead straight. Not bad for my first strike three months after an accident!

As for the other bag tips, thanks a bunch. My brother has an Izzo and I think he likes it. I'll continue searching for pricing and other offers.

BTW, they're replacing a Dunlop set (K-mart special about six years ago!). After shooting a 44 (which includes penalty strokes for two lost balls on first two holes) on my last outing, I really had the itch to get something decent!

7. Adam Bluhm

This is what I'm looking at right now. It's at the top of my list.

If anyone has any good online retailers (cheap and reliable) please let me know.

8. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I'd honestly stay away from any carry bag other than the Ping L8 or Hoofer series. Izzo provided bags to my team a while back, and they were terrible. The mouth of the bag would flop to one side. I've had my hoofer2 for years now, and haven't had a hint of a problem. Excellent insulated water bottle holder too.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Get one that's really really expensive, that way when you shoot 120 the guys with cheap equipment that shoot 90 can laugh.

I just get kicks out of guys with $1500 in the sport and can't play worth a crap, or maybe only once a year.

10. Adam Bluhm

Are the Pings or Hoofers $70 or less? I haven't researched them.

11. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

My dad bought the bag I am using in 1969 and it was used then, not even sure what brand it is, but it has the tubes for each club

my clubs are 3 inch over length knock offs made for me by what was Glfdirect.com but that page is no good anymore and I cannot find the new one, guess I will have to call them

12. Adam Bluhm

I went to Dick's Sporting Goods today and saw some nice Izzo and Ogio bags. The Ogio's have a very nice design and is comfortable to wear.

Someone told me that TJMax is a good place to find discount bags. Any insight regarding that?

13. Adam Bluhm

Ogio EXO stand bag at local Dicks is $100. I cannot find it online for anywhere near that price.

Ogio Shock stand bag on ebay for $91 (after shipping). The bags look very similar. I'm not sure which to choose.

Thanks for the tips, fellas.

14. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor