Recommendations wanted on some 1970s films on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sam Favate, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I was hoping to get some recommendations on some specific films on DVD. I'd like to know how the existing DVDs are for the following titles, or in cases where there is more than one edition, which is best. Watching Apocalypse Now (and Redux) on the Complete Dossier edition has inspired me to continue my collection of great 1970s films on DVD.

So, I am looking for recommendations on:
    - The Andromeda Strain
    - Marathon Man
    - The Deer Hunter
    - The Boys From Brazil

Thanks!

2. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Oh good question. I hope you get some answers as I was wondering about some of the same films. I just saw Clockwork Orange on HDNet and it looked great.

Laters,
    Jeff

3. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

The 70's was the Best Decade Ever for films. "Andromeda Strain", "Marathon Man" and "Deer Hunter" are all superb films. "Marathon" has fairly decent supplements as does "Andromeda".

Other films that are great (and are on DVD) include, Network, Dog Day Afternoon, All The President's Men, Night Moves, Paper Moon, Black Sunday (1977), Slap Shot, Mean Streets, Silent Running, All That Jazz, Norma Rae, Manhattan, Three Days of the Condor, The Parallax View, The Bad News Bears (Original), Taxi Driver, Dawn of the Dead (Original), American Graffiti, The China Syndrome, A Little Romance, Being There, Lenny, Jaws, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Patton, North Dallas Forty, The Late Show, Nashville, Chinatown, Smile, Annie Hall, Interiors, The Sting, The Conversation, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Sleeper, The Omega Man, Soylent Green, The Man Who Would Be King, Julia, An Unmarried Woman, Harry & Tonto, Next Stop Greenwich Village, 3 Women, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, Blazing Saddles, Enter The Dragon, Shampoo, Harold and Maude, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Getaway (1972), What's Up Doc?, The Last Picture Show, Godfather 1 & 2, Day For Night, Deliverance, Serpico, Murder on the Orient Express, The Way We Were, Klute, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Front, Carrie (1976) The Wind & the Lion. Just to start.

The 70's was a time of filmmakers with vision and studios who backed them. Many of these films would not be made today by a major studio. Films took a chance back then and were embraced by audiences. There were many great filmmakers other than Scorsese, Coppola, Spieberg, Altman etc. Peter Bogdonavich, Sidney Lumet, Woody Allen, Hal Ashby, Milos Forman, Sydney Pollack, Alan Pakula, Mel Brooks, George Roy Hill, Michael Ritchie.

4. Bob Spears

Bob Spears Stunt Coordinator

A few that jump immediately to mind are

1. Grand Prix
    2. Le Mans
    3. The Seven Ups
    4. The French Connection
    5. Little Big Man
    6. The Graduate

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    The new 2 disc SE of The Deer Hunter is pretty decent. The original 1 disc release was fairly awful. Unfortunately, on the others, where there are current releases, I expect they are only fair to average.

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick

Grand Prix = 1968
    The Graduate = 1967

7. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

John Huston's FAT CITY, Russ Meyer's BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, THE TOWERING INFERNO, Altman's CALIFORNIA SPLIT, THE SHOOTIST, PAPILLON, THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE, THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN, NETWORK, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, THE LAST AMERICAN HERO, THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT.

8. Bob Spears

Bob Spears Stunt Coordinator

As you can see the 60's were a blur

9. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

Badlands ,Days of Heaven are great dvd which need SE's,The Comformist
    and 1900 are coming out,The Godfather,Chinatown,the Conversation,
    Picnic at Hanging rock,Mash,The Long Goodbye,are all out
    Spirit of the Beehive is coming out as a SE

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

of the titles you mentioned, only Boys From Brazil is what I would consider weak- and thats in terms of DVD (A/V + supps) as well as the content of the film itself.
    I haven't seen Deer Hunter, but I have no doubt the Legacy set is an excellant presentation of the film as is possible on standard def.

The other two I own and are very highly reccommeded.