What's new

Recommendations wanted for Motherboard, chip. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Recently I tried installing Windows XP on my system and it was a frustrating disaster. I am now back to a nice clean install of Windows Me (which I haven't had too many problems with).

Not surprisingly, I can't return my Windows XP operating system. I've decided that even though it may be throwing good money after bad, I'm going to try to upgrtade my computer myself. The advice of some friends is steering this descision.

Though I once decided that my next computer's going to be off-the-shelf, I've changed my mind. I've decided to consider replacing my motherboard, CPU, and RAM for the following reasons:

* It will be cost effective.
* I have the know-how to do it (have done it many times in the past).
* Unlike the last time I got a computer, where my "old" hardware was all VLB or ISA, my cards are all PCI or AGP (for video). Plus both my hard drives support DMA and are 7200 RPM. I can realistically move everything into the new motherboard without trouble.
* It's environmentally sound. There's no need to create as much waste as I would by simply throwing out my old computer. This way the waste is greatly reduced.

So now I need recommendations. I do not keep up with the latest developments in PC parts. I'd like to get something that will last me 3 years, my old motherboard is 3 and a half years old. I want to keep the spending low, under $250 for the MB, Chip, and at least 256M RAM. I am not a gamer so I don't need blinding speed or ultra-fast video. I do a lot of recording and editing of digital audio and with my new firewire card, speed for compressing and dealing with video would be nice.

I love cheap resellers of old junk, particularly www.ubid.com which is a site that I know a lot of people hate, but I love it. I'm looking for specific recommendations of places to buy and particular motherboards and chips.

I'll probably need a new case as my 3+ year old one does not have holes on the back for the serial port, mouse port, etc. that seems to be standard now.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I am now back to a nice clean install of Windows Me (which I haven't had too many problems with).
Wow, you don't hear that every day! ;)

Did you buy the full version of WinXP or just the upgrade? If you have the full version did you try a "clean" install? That is, rather than installing over ME wipe the drive (after backing up important files) during the install process and rid yourself of ME altogehter? In my experience, this is the only trouble-free method of installing operating systems.

If memory serves, you might be able to perform a true clean install even with the upgrade version of XP.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
XP is not compatible with my old DFI K6 motherboard. I tried a completely clean install on a freshly formatted HD, with all my PCI boards (Sound, firewire, NIC) pulled. And boom. If you want to read the saga, go here, but you better be patient.

I'm leaning towards a "barebones" system at a local computer shop, including acase, motherboard, chip, and RAM. Then I'll add my own CDR, DVD, HDD, video, sound, NIC, Firewire.

Jim Beletti

Auditioning
Phil,

I just built 2 PCs. A big bad one and a more tame one. I bought my case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, CD-ROM, Floppy and OS from CPU Solutions - http://cpusolutions.com.
They are in Wisconsin and they've got great prices, delivery and tech support. I purchased my hard drives from http://www.abspc.com.

What the primary functions of your upgraded PC are, will drive any decision you make for a CPU. In my case, the big dog was definately a multimedia use computer. That meant P4. I went with an ECS P4VXAD+ motherboard and an Intel P4 at 2.4 GHz. $300 for both at CPU Solutions.

For the more tame PC, I used a Gigabyte motherboard and an AMD Athlon 2000 XP+ at 1.67 GHz. $150 for both at CPU Solutions.

Best of luck to you,

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got my barebones system at a local shop. ASUS motherboard and AMD Athlon XP 2000+ chip in a nice case with 256MB RAM (more later). Works nice.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
my reccomendation for inexpensive is to get the asus a7n8x, it's performance numbers are only second to the epox 8rda+ but it has the nVidia soundstorm audio on it that is performing as well as any high end consumer sound card. at 140$ for the mobo, with that onboard sound, I would say it's a steal. then look into getting an AMD 1700+ for less then 60$, if you buy the 1700+'s from newegg(I know newegg sells the right ones for sure thoroughbred B amd XP) you'll be able to actually run them as fast as a 2400+ because they are a remarked version. then pick up a single stick of 256MB 2700 or 3200 memory then down the road look into buying a second stick so that they will run in dual channel mode which is more efficient. for a video card look at buying the ATI 128MB 9500 card, as is it's a gorgeous card, but if you ever get the urge you can actually mod the card with just software so it runs like a 9700 which is a much more expensive card. then for the case you can just shop around on newegg and find a nice inexpensive one for not more than 60$.

bottom line:

asus a7n8x-deluxe
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...n=a7n8x+deluxe

AMD XP1700+
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...700%2B+Thoroug
65$ (retail has better warrenty)

corsair 2700 256mb ram:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...X256A%2D2700C2
81$

ATI radeon 9500 127mb NON-pro:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...9500+128+black

total: ~457$ plus cheapo case should put it around 500$

not bad for a very very fast computer. and when you desire the 1700+ will easily oc to a 2400+ and you can use software drivers to make the 9500 run like a 9700.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
what all the cpu makers do is make one core, like all the throughbred "B" revision cores (newest revision) are made to run like the 2600+ (including the new thoroughbred "B" 1700+). they are all made on the same platter, it's cheaper to have one machine make everything. but what happens is that once the platter is complete the chips on the outside are not as good as the chips in the middle or some platters don't come out that great for some reason so the outside chips are usually marked as slower running chips. In addition quality assurance is ran on the chips, those chips that can't run at 2600+ are remarked as slower processors, AMD has been known to mark their processors about 200mhz less then what they where able to achieve. now because you can't Q&A every processor, they just test a few per batch which is why you hear of some people getting great overclocks with slower processors. actually all chips are done like this, including ram.

in addition if a particular processor is really popular, then the chip maker will remark faster chips down so they can sell them off. Intel did this a few years back with their 600's (a lot of 600's where actually remarked 800's). Current thought is that the new "B" revision 1700+'s are remarked chips because they will easily run at much faster speeds.

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
Very cool! I just ordered an XP 1700+ from NewEgg. I was not planning on overclocking it, but I think that I will just to find out what it will do. Who knows, if it does not run too hot, I might keep it up there. Thanks for all of the info.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I put a A7N8X-DX board in my newest 'puter and I'm pretty sure it'll last me a good 3 years or so. It's fine for my present needs, and has a number of features (dual RAID, supports AGP 8x and PC3200 RAM) that I'll no doubt use in the future.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
When I tried overclocking my AMD K6-3 it never worked. Should I try overclocking the 2000+? That would be cool if it worked!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks