What's new

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I didn't watch the first six seasons of Gunsmoke as it was a little before my time. When I started watching it was an hour long show. By that time, I was into Wagon Train, Rawhide and Bonanza. I do have the first seven seasons on DVD. I've never watched any of them so perhaps I'll give the first six seasons a chance to see if that half hour format is more to my liking.:)
I like the whole series but the 1st 6 seasons were by far the best. I'm pretty sure you will like them and if so you are in for a treat with 233 half hour episodes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wanted to mention that I started Zorro last night, and ended up watching the first two episodes - loved it, and don't know why I let it sit on the shelf so long. So I think I'll probably be bouncing back and forth between Zorro and Have Gun to begin with, but I'm going to make sure to keep this thread going so that I can take advantage of all of the great recommendations whenever I have an extra slot to fit something into.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Four episodes into Zorro, and I'm loving it.

My set of Have Gun arrived damaged from Amazon, so it'll be a few more days before the replacement shows up.

Sorry to hear about the HGWT set. Hopefully Amazon gets the replacement set to you undamaged. On the other hand it’s great to hear you are enjoying Zorro!

Gary “Guy Williams was made for that role” O.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Gary!

I probably could have salvaged HGWT but it’s got 35 discs in there and the hub was broken - I didn’t really want 35 floaters in my collection! But the replacement has shipped and is due tomorrow or Saturday so I’ll be on my way soon.

And you’re right - Guy Williams is fantastic as Zorro.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm late to the game .
My own favorites?:
Have Gun Will Travel,
Gunsmoke ,
Wagon Train ,
Bonanza,
The 5 Davy Crockett episodes from "Disneyland" Tv show,
Yancy Derringer,
Cheyenne,
The Texan,
Restless Gun,
You can't go wrong with any of these.
I own all of them plus many more on DVD - in fact just about every season of every TV western released on DVD so far !

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks Gary!

I probably could have salvaged HGWT but it’s got 35 discs in there and the hub was broken - I didn’t really want 35 floaters in my collection! But the replacement has shipped and is due tomorrow or Saturday so I’ll be on my way soon.

And you’re right - Guy Williams is fantastic as Zorro.

I envy you your Zorro set, Josh...I waited too long and missed my chance to pick up the now OOP and very expensive Walt Disney Treasure season 1 and 2 sets. I was not a fan of the Disney Zorro growing up (preferring Tyrone Power in The Mark of Zorro) but I'm sure I'd very much enjoy it now.

Good to hear that a replacement HG - WT set is on its way to you. Floaters seem to be a particular problem with those multi-hub complete series sets.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I only have Zorro S1. I’m gonna have to pay through the nose for S2...and since it’s the only Disney Treasures set that I’m missing, I will. I’ll be really annoyed with myself for doing it, but that won’t stop me :D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Looks like I’ve got the next decade mapped out... :D

Josh, there's no doubt in my mind that the half-hour western genre offers more quality programming than any other (with only sitcoms possibly topping it). The 50's and 60's were the great era for those shows. There really are enough quality western series to watch for a lifetime. And that's not even expanding to hour-long shows.

Gary "if you ever want to go that route, Rawhide is the undisputed champion in my book" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah... once Roberts left Bonanza it just wasn't the same. It wasn't necessarily "bad" but just felt like it was missing something. I'd put it at #3 on my hour length Westerns list, following #1 Rawhide and #2 Maverick.

In the half hour vein... don't forget Death Valley Days. Brian mentioned it in passing early in the thread. It's a very high quality anthology western. There are only 5 of the seasons out right now (S1-3 and S13 & S14). Those later years are when Ronald Regan was the host. Hamilton Books (a overstock/closeout mail order business with a web presence) currently has 4 seasons available, one of which is the harder to find S1. S1, S2, & S13 are $7.95 each (+ shipping). I highly recommend them and use them often. They package well and have excellent CS.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Josh, thanks for this thread as I have now finally picked up the Have Gun - Will Travel Complete Series set today from WalMart. Have watched the first three episodes and am enjoying it immensely. Thanks again for the gentle prodding. I have been on the fence about this one for almost a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks