Recommendations Sought for A/B Capable Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil White, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I'm looking for a receiver that will intially power deck speakers (JBL N24AW) for music (stereo). The receiver will actually sit in the family room rack. At the moment, my family room has HDTV/DVD/VCR/SAT but no surround. I may never put surround in the family room but in case I change my mind, I want the receiver to be able to switch between A and B speakers and preferably, have an option to play through both at the same time as well. If I ever go surround on this receiver, DTS would be preferable but not a must and 5.1 is adequate.

I really don't want to spend much as this hobby of mine is getting out of hand.

Any good ideas please.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Based on my experience:

JVC RX-8000VBK: Will not play through both "A" and "B" at the same time.

Denon 1802: Will play through both "A" and "B" at the same time.

Marantz 5200: No "B" speaker connectors, so this is not an option.

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

The yamaha htr-5440/rx-v420 features a/b switching for the mains and allows you to run them both at the same time. It also has DD 5.1, DTS, and 5 channel stereo. Only problem is that your JBLs aren't very efficient so running both A and B speakers may be too much for the Yamaha's 65 wpc amp. You can find the htr-5440/rx-v420 for a little less than $300.

4. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

well not the 5200, but the marantz SR-7200 will play through A and B at the same time. the 7200 also has a multi room output feature where if you got a small little crappy amp for the deck speakers, you can have the family room playing a different source than the deck. e.g. if you were watching dumb and dumber on dvd you could have the latest N'sync album blasting on the deck all through your one receiver and at the same time.

5. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Thanks for the help folks. I'll research your suggestions.

N

6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Agent

The Denon 3802 has seven seperate amps and allows 5.1 in one room while giving you two channels for a second room .Check it out