What's new

Recommendations Please. (1 Viewer)

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the JBL NSP-1 speakers sytem (already have a sub) and have a major problem. I bought a HTIAB jvc system and have bought several center speakers with the same problem. well now that I bought the JBL speakers the center is still a problem so now I need receiver recommendations cause im scared to just buy one. the problem with the center speakers is everyone I have tried sounds distorted/and not understandable no matter if movie or music at any volumes and sounds the worst at the lowest volume setting. I figure the receiver is the problem and not enough power. Its 100 x 5 but im sure the JVC is over rated source. Im leaning to Pioneer for price reasons and my old stereo Pioneer receivers always sounded great. I would like to spend around $300.00 and have seen the 801 Pioneers (I belive) at bestbuy for this price. what do you think ? recommend away .... please! Thanks....

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
For $300 or so, there are some options out there but I have no qualms recommending the 810S (which is the model I believe you to be referencing). If you have had success with Pioneer equipment previously (as I have) then by all means go for it.

You will want to buy over the counter anyway for the return policy in case you're still dissatisfied with the center channel performance.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Paul............ I actually went to bestbuy and circuit city tonight and they were all saying i need clean continuous power. so I bought a floor model as I can bring it back and went with an Onkyo 55W a channel as they said that would cure my problem and got it for $150.00 !!!!!!!!!! if I dont like it I cab bring it back and get the pioneer or a better onkyo. but everyone at both stores told me onkyo is way better than pioneer even though its rated much lower it will sound much better and just as loud when needed. I'll let you know how I make out.
BTW: I almost bought the pioneer too :)

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
Well I just got finished hooking it up last night and tested it this morning. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I will never buy jvc, sony...etc again!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what real high end/more watt receivers considered entry level like 100watts sound like but this onkyo 55x5 is incredible compared to my JVC 100x5!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so impressed and will never buy low end stuff again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even though this onkyo is low entry level high end receiver the 55x5 does just fine by me. I dont even know why someone would need anything more powerful but thats what I though about the JVC, you live, you learn huh ? for $150.00 for this receiver it cured my distorted center channel at any volume and gave a much much better quality of sound and the seperation of teach channel is so much better. I was like....WOW to myself. I think I will buy onkyo from now on or if not that in the future I would consider denon too. I like pioneer but definitely not on the same level as the onkyo or denon. thanks for your input. I basically did a swap for the receiver as I just sold my JVC on ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!! very happy camper here. Im learning!!!!!!!!!! I understand now why everyone on here pushes for seperate compnents when building/buying a home theater. any newbies out there spend the extra cash now it will be worth it in the end cause you will just wind up spending more in the end anyway to get the sound that will satisfied you. but I can say I did learn alot form this mistake and would not trade what I learned to save the money! of maybe I would :)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Glad it worked out for you. What model Onk did you get?

I know how you feel about the sound...I used to own JVC until I bought my first H/K...now I have three. There is no substitute for quality.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
TX-DS494 .......... it was a demo but not a thing wrong with it and had manual and remote. guess there is a model that replaces it so they marked it down and I got a great deal. H/K is so nice but big bucks!!!!!!!! they look pretty too . I have a dvd setup disc and A.I. which I watched today man htis receiver sounds great and plenty loud for me. the JBL NSP-1 sound great I love them!!!!!!!!! what else do you have for a setup (speakers, etc... ), sounds like you have lots of money in many rooms :) share what you have its interesting to hear what other people are using and can only learn from expeience for future purchases.
oh ya..... I know, I was shocked/amazed at the difference in quality between the 2 recievers. didnt know what I was missing. I mean words cant explain. and I though JVC was a good receiver....boy was I wrong. you just dont know till you experience other equipment. this is my first and im all giggles. I can only imagine what the Higher models sound like when it comes to the higher power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks