Recommendations please - $3,000.....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan Jones, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Bryan Jones

Bryan Jones Auditioning

to spend (could be a little more) on around a 57" set. Primary source would be cable (digital) or posibly sat (moving into a new house so not sure what is available) with some DVD (< 30%).

I have heard great things about the Hitachi S500 series and the Toshiba HX83 series. Obviously concerned about burn-in issues as well. Room would be fairly well lit as well. Would LCD or LCoS be an option? What price range would I be looking at for a 50+" display?

Thanks.

2. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

Bryan,
    I don't know if you are interested or not but with the rebates on the Pioneer Elite sets they are in your price range. I just got a 630HD 58" for right at the price you are looking at after rebate. If you have an authorized Elite dealer in your area you may want to check them out. I had to work on my dealer on the price for over a week but we finally got together on it. So far it's been great...
    Good Luck..
    jim

3. Bryan Jones

Bryan Jones Auditioning

Jim - thanks for the info. I would certainly be interested in Pioneer Elite. Where can I find more information on this rebate?

Thanks

4. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

I found a copy of the rebate on One Call's site. www.onecall.com/ just go to the RPTV section and find the Elites and there should be a link to the coupon. My dealer also gave me a copy when I bought the set. It's been a week for me and I don't think I've stopped grinning yet. All my fears of moving from a 4x3 Sony HDTV set to a 16x9 set vanished once they fired up the set and I got to check out the excellent Pioneer stretch modes. DVD's are fantastic looking and my LD collection looks even better from my Elite CLD-79. I don't really have any burn in concerns because it has been very easy to adjust to the stretch modes. If you can just go out and look at as many sets as possible and get what fits your viewing habits and looks best to you. Good luck in the search...
    Jim

5. Bryan Jones

Bryan Jones Auditioning

Thanks! Just looked at the Tweeter website and they have the 53" Elite for $3,499. Less the rebate I'm right at that point. I will definately have to take a look. I had thought the Elite's were going to be well above my range. Thanks for the information.

6. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

Bryan,
    No problem. You should be able to get some more off that listed price. We don't have a Tweeter around where I live but when I went to my sisters they have one. They quoted me 10% off the list price then the rebate on top of that. I was able to get two local dealers come very close to that price. I wanted to buy local and have a local dealer to deal with in case any problems crop up. Anyway check around and you should be able to get something off that.
    Good Luck.
    Jim

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bryan:

Also check out the new Panasonic 50 inch LCD rear projector. I saw this at Circuit City last week and was blown away by the image. They have it for $2,899. They also have the Samsung DLP and the Sony WEGA LCD RPTVs but they didn't have any in stock at the time I was there.

Parker

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you may also want to check out the hitachi 57swx20b

http://www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/pro...57swx20b.shtml

all the reviews i've read on this series say it's one rockin' machine. i think it even received some product of the year type award...i think from sound&vision...not sure though.

[edit] here is a review on the 51" version. i read another review somewhere else that echoed this reviewer's findings.

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/showarchives.cgi?72:1

i especially like the following quote.