What's new

Recommendations on Projector (1 Viewer)

Dan Seliger

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for an ultra bright projector that does true HD resolution.

My room is going to be more of a multi-purpose room so lighting control will be a bit of a problem so i need something that is super bright.

I use it for mostly movies, but a lot of HD as well.

Any recommendations? Ceiling mount preferred.

I would like to stay under $5000 if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Dan, you should go to Projectorcentral.com and do a projector search with your requirements entered. Also read the "Highly Recommended Projectors" section.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
And be sure to read the article "Does your projector do TRUE HDTV" while at projector central.

KirkP

Agent
Have you thought about putting up black out curtains? I also have a multipurpose room and while I live in Western Washington- I still have a few bright sunny days :) Most of the hoem theater projectors are right around the same brightness (1000- 1500 ANSI lumens). A couple of recommendations: Benq PE8700 & Panasonic PT-AE700U. ProjectorCentral.com does have some decent reviews plus this forum & avsforum.com has a wealth of information from members so do a search for the models you are interested in and you'll get plenty of feedback.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Your post reads like a FP contradiction.
Recommended theater projectors have low lumens (800-1000) to keep the contrast levels high.
The minute you start using a light cannon with daylight shining into the room the picture will look dull, blacks will look grey. Just watch 'Master and Commander' where every second scene is dark and that will curb your enthusiasm.
The second thing about FP's is the bulbs only have 2000 hours of life in them so watching HDTV programs will require a new bulb every year.
I only watch films with my projector set to econo mode and control the light.
A CRT RPTV might be a better solution for your space. The tubes will last you 10,000 hours.
On the up side FP's are portable so if you want to take it out of a closet at night and put it on a coffee table to watch a favorite movie, they only take minutes to set up on a wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks