Recommendations on new computer, please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julian Reville, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I need to upgrade my old home computer. I used to build my own, but I am out of the loop on what is current.

Old computer: H-P Pavilion Pentium II 350MHz; 176 Meg Ram; 12X Plextor CD-RW; 40Gig HD; Soundblaster PCI modem; Soundblaster PCI soundcard. I use this just for making CDs, websurfing, and playing a few games (flight sims and a couple of battle sims). Running Win98.

I figure I can recycle the HD, CD-RW, modem, and soundcard; so I need recommendations for a new case, video card, MB, CPU, RAM, new OS? This must be able to run old DOS programs as well as Windows programs. I really don't want to spend more than $500 (sorry, but I'm poor).

Thanks in advance.
    Julian

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well Julian you wont be able to or want to upgrade your OS since you want to be able to run DOS based programs. 98se is probably your best option for a newer OS that will run those programs without an overlay of some type.

You could get a P4 2Ghz $165
    Intel 845 400/533 motherboard (future upgrade 2.26ghz+) $102
    512MB Ram PC2100 266mhz Samsung $108
    ASUS MX 420 64mb W/TV $65

Total $440

Radeon 9000 would add approx $10 to price of system to switch out for mx420 just depends how much you want to spend.

Which would allow you to get a case of your liking. I prefer Enlight cases since they are easy to work with and can be had shipped right around the $60-70 dollar mark with a 300-350w PS.

If you want to save money you could get only 256mb ram or a slower processor. Also you could pass up on the Intel processor and go with an AMD but it wont be as upgradeable since they are looking to replace the boards within 6 months.

KyleS

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Avoid any of the MX series Nvidia cards, if possible. For around $80, you could pick up a Radeon 8500LE, or for about $100, you can get a new Radeon 9000. Both these cards are leagues better than the MX cards; you'd need to get at least a Ti4200 to compete (which are around $150, if you'd like to stick with Nvidia).

4. Julian Reville

Thanks guys,

Is it possible to have a Windows XP Home system that you can dual-boot into a Windows 98 or even DOS 6.2?

Julian

5. Ben Menix

Ben Menix Stunt Coordinator

Yep, at least with XP Pro; I have heard that it works the same with Home Edition, but I haven't tried it myself. Install Windows 98 first, then install Windows XP. It's cleaner if you have two hard drives, but you can do it with one no problem.
    Ben Menix
    [email protected]

6. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

Question?

Kyle - Why on earth would you still need Dos? Running Win98 would serve no real purpose unless it was for Dos support only. Is there some HT applications you guys use that needs Dos? If not, why bother, just go XP all the way. Just curios.

Kris

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Seems like your requirements are fairly modest, you may want to look into getting a barebone kit. You can look into places like tigerdirect.com, or EBay (look under motherboard and CPU). Over at EBay, you can buy a Celeron 1.7 (P4 Core) fully assembled barebone with integrated AC97 audio, 8x AGP and 10/100 LAN for about $200, no OS, no mouse, no kb, no hd, no cd, but you have all those already. BTW these are new, warranty barebones.

8. Julian Reville

Thanks,

I still like to play some old DOS games like Steel Panthers: Modern Battles, and my Veterinary Management program is DOS (this one cost me $1500 12 years ago; the programmers now want $2500 for the Windows version, but the DOS one runs fine under Windows 98 and I have it networked on 4 WIN98 computers at work. I keep a backup here at home).

So if I bought a computer that came preloaded with Win XP, and added another HD (I've got a few spares) with either DOS 6.2 or WIN98 on it, would I get some sort of menu during boot-up?

Looking at Intel's website, it looks like a Celeron comes fairly close to Pentium 4 in performance. Would I notice much of a difference?

Julian

9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The new 1.7 GHz Celerons are reported to be slower than the old 1.3 GHz Celerons in some applications.

The reason is that the new Celerons have a P4-style core without a lot of cache, whereas the old Celerons had a P3-style core.

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

11. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer