What's new

Recommendations on a CD changer requested (1 Viewer)

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Hi everyone!

It's time for me to buy a new CD player. Nothing too fancy. Just a dedicated CD player. I've hunted around a couple sites reading reviews, but would also like your input if you have the time. Basically, I'm looking for something that
  • Plays CDs (duh!)
  • Is a changer (5-6 discs; don't need a jukebox)
  • Maybe plays MP3-coded discs
  • Is in the $200ish price range
That's about it. It doesn't have to play DVD Audio or anything like that. Just a nice changer at a good price.

Any recommendations? Thanks for your time.

- Steve

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
JVC has a 7-disc player with all of those features, plus DVD audio. It sells for $279, but Best Buy has an online deal with an $80 rebate.

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my new Marantz CC4300. It's a 5 disc changer with both coax and optical output. It is capable of playing CD-RWs, but it doesn't play MP3s...that's okay because I think that MP3 is inferior to CD. Anyway, the player sounds and works fantastic and I got it shipped to my house for less than $200. I got the unit factory refurbished from Accessories4less.com which is the only authorized Marantz factory refurbished online retailer.

Check it out.

-TJ

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
I'll put in another vote for the Marantz CC-4300, which I got about 3 months ago. Very solidly built in this price range and seems to have a robust changer mechanism. Sounds great through my modest system. I purchased it from a local dealer for $250. Marantz's only authorized online dealer for new units is hifi.com who has it for $250 and free UPS.

One caveat, the specs on hifi.com and I think Marantz's website, contain an error. The 4300 does not have a peak level search feature; the CC-3000 and CC-4000 did. Not a dealbreaker for most, but just so you are aware.

The new Denon changers (DCM-280 and 380, I believe) are supposed to be solid and they will handle MP3s as well.
The 380 will also play HDCD encoded discs. Denons are sold thru multiple outlets but please be aware that they have a strict policy about "authorized" dealers. Do a search for more info, it has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

Good luck!

John

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Bringing this topic from the dead, I'm currently looking at getting the Denon DCM-280... has anyone had experience with this product? I've noticed that some online reviews didn't like the fact that there is no on/off button on the remote. Go figure :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I haven't used the Denon DCM-280, but I have the '370, which preceded it (along with the '270). The '370 is a solid player for the money, and I suspect the '280 is as well. The '270 lacked a coaxial digital output, but Denon included one with the '280. The main difference between the '280 and '380 is that the latter does HDCD decoding. In the end, I'd say the Denon '280 would be a good choice.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steven, one more thing. Few CD player remotes have on/off buttons. I don't know why that is, but it is. For whatever reason, megachanger remotes often have on/off buttons (all such Sony remotes do), but on/off buttons are rare on remotes for single-disc players and carousel changers. Note that I am not considering DVD players.

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
Steven,

The Marantz CC-4300 does have a power on/off button on the remote, which I have to say I really like.

Good luck with your selection.

John

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, that's cool. I don't recall the preceding generation of Marantz changers having an on/off button on the remote. Ah, modern technology. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks