Recommendations on a bedroom tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Mar 25, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I need a new tv for my bedroom. Initially it will be used just for tv watching (only 1 dvd player). I've looked at 13" tv's but they just seem too small so I'm gonna check out some 20" ones. What smaller tv's do you all have and recommend?

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

www.pricesrite.com has the Samsung flat 20" for $254.99 Try & get Sears to match the price or I'm sure www.jandr.com will match it. Shipping was about $10

4. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Mike I went with the Toshiba 20AF41 fst PURE-FLAT for my bedroom. I also got mine from Best Buy and like the Samsung it is also $299.99, I think the Tosh had the best looking picture by far in the store. The Samsung for some reason was not out on display at the store I went to. I also wanted to take a look at the Samsung because that is one of the sets I was thinking about getting. I looked at the Tosh 20AF41, Sony Wega, Panny, Phillips, etc and the Tosh clearly ruled the roost. It even looked alot better when I got it home. In my humble opinion, the Toshiba or the Samsung may be your best bet in the 20 inchers!
    Here is the link to the Toshiba. You may be able to find it cheaper on the internet.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=28
    Good Luck,
    Roy.

5. MikeAlletto

I was actually looking at that toshiba online. I was also looking into the 20" sony wega's. But the toshiba has the component inputs if I ever bother to put a dvd player in the bedroom. Do you get any kind of distortion with the flat screen at all? I haven't actually looked at any of these in stores yet.

6. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I also went with the Toshiba 20AF41, and I can assure that on my particular set, there is no distortion. From what I've heard, the smaller the set, the less chance of distortion (but I could be wrong). The Tosh looks great and has a very good picture. The power supply seems a little light, though, as specific objects change brightness as the overall picture brightness goes up and down (high APL vs. low APL). For a TV in this price range, and for the bedroom, though, this is a very small issue.

I'm very happy with the set, and I think you will be too.

Good Luck.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I wouldn't expect the power supplies on small TVs in this range to be that robust--so forget about good DC restoration. What you will get is a pristine, lear, and very bright picture--on sets this small, what with the scanning lines closer together, it's amazing how good the pictures can be.

8. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Mike, Jack hit it right on the head, the picture is amazing! I have mine hooked up to regular analog cable and the PQ is amazing. I also decided to get the new Tosh SD-2800 DVD player to go along with the 20AF41. The Tosh SD-2800 is in my opinion a steal @ $149. I have it hooked up to the 20AF41 via the component jacks on the TV and DVD player and the picture is as close to HD as you will get on a non HD set up. I am not even using component cables just the standard RCA cables that come with the SD-2800 (which are pretty cheap in quality). I will go out and get a nice set of gold plated component cables for the bedroom setup soon.

Roy.

9. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

I need help me. Should I go with a flat screen Toshiba or the Sony?????? I like the sony name better, but its going to be mated with a toshiba dvd player, and I don't want the dvd to get lonely... lol

10. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

The sony is the worst value wise. You get more features for less on the Samsung(my personal reccomendation. If you ever get a DVD player in there you'll be thankfull it can do the anamorphic squeeze). Also the Panasonic 20" TAU and the Toshiba cost less than the Sony and offer more features. I'd say if you don't want the Samsung, go with the Toshiba over the Sony.

11. MikeAlletto

I went and checked out the 20" toshiba. Yeah way cool [​IMG] I'll probably pick it up this weekend. Thanks all.