Recommendations on 32" set.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well...i've been dying for a 16x9, but now i'm not so sure i can get one just yet...since i'll be moving into a 2nd story apartment...i'm worried about getting it out of there later. i'm still in the air about this and may post a separate question regarding this issue.
    anyway...
    can you all make some recommendations for 30-32" tv's? here's some criteria i'd like to try to follow:
    • budget: hopefully no more than about $600.00 USD
    • screen: i love flat-panel, but don't think i can afford one at my budget. if not, i'd like the flattest screen possible.
    • features: since it's a 32" i don't expect a lot of features. i don't really care about dual-tuner/PIP. is defeatable SVM a feature in non-projectioin tvs? i'll be running the mon-out from my receiver to the aux-in on the tv anyway, so even the number of inputs isn't that important
    i guess my primary focus is the flatest screen possible and good picture. all else is secondary.
    tia
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.
    [Edited last by Ted Lee on October 17, 2001 at 02:03 PM]

2. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

Ted,
    I can offer you a little more info. I am posting here since I too am going to be buying a TV in the next few days. I have settled on a 32" because of my price range as well. Under or just at $600.00. I have compared a whole bunch of TV's and so far this is what I have narrowed my choices down to: Anyone else who has looked at or own any of these or other I would love your input.
    Anyway:
    JVC AV32D302
    Panasonic ANCT32G6
    Sharp 32R-S480
    I looked at Toshiba's in two different locations. At one location side by side with the JVC and another location side by side with the Sharp. At both places I felt that the Toshiba's where not as sharp and that the white of the closed caption text was not as bright white, it looked a little grey. The Blacks looked really good and dark on all of the sets. Also, I played around with the controls of one of the Toshiba's and the sharpness was set at 100% already - it seemed blury compared to the Sharp. My father has a 36" Toshiba and I have always thought the picture looked great. I was looking at it just last night and I thought the picture looked a little bland, but I thought that just might be from what I was watching (MSNBC on Dish). I didn't compare the Sony's much since most of them are not in my price range. I did walk buy one Trinitron at Circuit City and the picture quality caught my eye. It was very nice, but at $699.00 it was a bit above what I was trying to stay at for price.
    I stopped at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Audio King and played around with the controls to get the best picture I could. I will be hitting another Best Buy and Audio King to look at another set of TV's and see if I come to the same conclusion again.
    So far I am leaning very heavy towards the Sharp. I first though the picture was a bit on the red side and I used the controls to adjust the picture, I was able to get the picture to have skin tones that matched almost perfect with the Toshiba next to it, and at that I thought the RED looked a little more warm and clear then the Toshiba. The Toshiba just seemed a bit muddy, for lack of a better word.
    Actually when I was playing with the Sharp and trying to get the colors to something I would like. A budy of mine said, "Jeez that looks just as good as that HDTV over there" Looking over at two HDTV's one of them was a very nice deep blue, and the one below it was just a little less Deep Blue, maybe a little more to the Red. This was with a video playing of an Ocean scene. The bottom HDTV looked almost identical to the Sharp. I also watched a Bruce Springsteen concert and if you have ever seen a Concert on HDTV you can notice on the lead singer sometimes the face will get a little washed out when the performer gets directly under a spot light. On the sharp it looked very sharp and bright, on the Toshiba it looked sortta muddy and grey. Also, I watched an interview of Moby on the two tv's and I noticed the red in a chair and the yellow in another chair where both very clear and bright.
    Well, thats my thoughts at this point. I would love to get the JVC and Sharp side by and compare the two, but I haven't found a store that carried both of them close to each other yet.
    Just my thoughts, I look forward to others.
    [Edited last by Dan_Myers on October 18, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks dan for your post. i'll keep those models in mind. also, you gave me some good ideas of what to do and what to look for when shopping. i appreciate your time! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

4. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

Hey Ted,
    All that typing and my second re-read I still have some typos in my last post.
    I wanted to expand a little more on the Toshiba. I mentioned my Fathers 36" then said last night I thought the picture looked a little bad. Anyway, the reason I noticed that is because the local channels with a standard roof top antenna look fantastic! I was actually going out to the stores today to compare the JVC -vs- a Toshiba at the same price range. I for the most part had already been sold on Toshiba before I started shopping. So, I know first hand that Toshiba does make some good TV's and will still be looking at them to see if one will be in my future or not.
    -Dan

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

32" is fine if you sit close enough. By all means make sure the TV has a "vertical squeeze" mode which puts all the scanlines in the middle when you're playing an anamorphic DVD.

6. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

I spent a few hours this evening traveling between many stores tonight looking at TV's and the more I looked the More I started to dislike the picture on the Sharp. It looked really clear, yet, I don't know how to describe this, I think the picture was kind of scratchy. Anyway, I started looking more and more at the JVC again. After looking at the JVC D302 at two different stores and playing with the settings while I played around with a Trinitron I finially decided on the D302 and when I talked the salesman down to $499.00 on an open box I had to take it. Watching it at home the picture looks great both on Dish and the Off air, even though I don't have a real clear reception here, it looks really good.
    I would say I think this JVC is the best pick for me.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

congrats on the new toy dan! i'm sure you'll have lots of fun. i'll take a close look at that model.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

8. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Marc,
    Can you find a 32" analog set with the squeeze for $600? I'm thinking of the Sony 32FV27 which I've seen for $1099 on sale at CC. Perhaps there are others.. I dunno.
    ------------------
    --RR

9. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

The only analog sets that I know of that do the squeeze, at least without doing it from the service menu, are the Sony Wegas. The lower end sets in the line have a manual aspect ratio switch from the user menu and the higher end sets do it automatically.