What's new

recommendations needed on a dog house (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
hey guys...i'm in the process of having a 6 ft privacy fence installed in my backyard so it's about time for my baby girl to go "out" into the world. she's a pure bred weimeraner and she'll be exactly 10 weeks old on july 15. i intend to keep her inside a little while after the fence is finally up (2-3 weeks) as i feel she's still a bit young to be putting outside in the heat. i was looking for a recommendation on what type of dog house i should consider. i've looked at the dogloo and baur'x brand dog houses at my local pet stores and wal-marts. they all claim to be "cool in the summer and warm in the winter". winter's here aren't particularly harsh...usually never below freezing though it does occasionally dip into the high teens / mid-twenties. summers on the otherhand can be quite harsh...often entering into the high 90's to over 100. couple this with the abundant alabama humidity and it makes for one uncomfortable day to subject my dog to. i intend to put her dog house on the covered porch so she'll have plenty of shade but are there better dog houses out there i should be looking for? thanks for any help you guys can provide.

kevin t

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
have you got a garage wall facing the back yard? you could always put a doggy door into the garage and build a small pen so she can't get into trouble in there, might be cooler. You can put a lightbulb in there during the cold (in 'bama haha ok probly not) winter nights to keep her warm.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
nope...no garage here. she is a short hair dog so it's possible she might get cold. granted, alabama doesn't get quite as cold at north dakota. i'm original from north alabama where the coldest i ever remember it getting was maybe a couple below 0. i now live in mobile along the gulf coast so winter's are usually mild but we occasionally have a colder than usually winter where the temp gets close to freezing. thanks for the insight about possibly keeping her warm...now just to figure out how to keep her cool. as soon as i get some of her pics developed, i'll post them.

kevin t

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Kevin - I got the Dogloo II recently (it was about $60 from sams) and my 80 lb mutt loves it, even in the GA heat/humidity. I do keep it on the porch, but I put it in the yard the other day when I was away and he went right in and hung out.

Plus they are durable as heck. My parents dog still has the same one 11 years later; I haven't seen many wooden dog houses make it that long in the southern moisture.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Kevin- I haven't owned a weimeraner but I've had other sporting breeds, they keep warm down to WELL below freezing, a normal doghouse would be fine, in the garage un heated would be downright tropical :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks