What's new

Recommendations, getting DTS/DD out of a laptop. (1 Viewer)

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to use my laptop computer as a DVD player for my Home Theater. In order to get the DTS and Dolby DIgital sound tracks to the Surround processor I need either a Optical or Coax connection. The only reasonably priced solution I have found is the Gainward Hollywood@Home Music2Go 7.1 Sound Box- With Remote Controller. See link below.

http://www.gainwardusa.com/products/multimedia.htm

The only problem is, it is USB 2.0 so, I have to wait to get a new laptop to use it.

Is this a good solution? Have any of you done this? What other suggestions do any of you have?

Thanks,
Adam

John S

Senior HTF Member
SB Live has a USB product also...

So your current Lap Top, does not have USB???
Or it is some weirdo older implementation I suppose?

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
No, my current laptop has USB. But it is the older USB 1.1 standard not USB 2.0 which is a higher speed interface.

Also, I wasn't sure if this post should go here or in pc HTPC section. So, if it has to be moved that's OK.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hit and miss on USB 1.1, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. With the SB live product anyways, they do not state 2.0 support only, but I have found it to be hit and miss for sure in real world use with USB1.1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks