Recommendations for Wall Speaker Mounts?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike*Williams, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Mike*Williams

Hello all,

I am just about to move into a new house and I'm going to be mounting the rear surround speakers on the wall. My rears are the ones that are part of the Fluance SX-HTB package. According to Fluance.com they are 5.1 lbs each, and they have a built-in receptacle on the back to be mounted (so no need to screw anything into the back of the speakers).

I'm looking for recommendations on cost-effective, yet stylish and functional speaker wall-mounts.

I've see ones for at low as $15 and as much as $60 and $75. I think $60 per mount is a bit excessive, but that's why I'm asking. Is there really a reason to pay so much more?

Any comments are appreciated.

Mike W.

2. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Just me again.

I was in the same situation with my soon to me mounted AR HC6 rears. I went with the AB-2's from Omnimount. They hold up to 8lbs each, have a nice extension for ceiling mounts, leave enough space to fuss with the wiring (which I found out is not always the case), and most of all, dont look hideous. Also, they have a very small mounting plate which means a very small footprint on the wall. Another nice feature.

I almost bought some B-Techs but decided that I couldn't stand the way they look and they were way too big for my tastes.

3. Mike*Williams

Thanks for the feedback. I love to save money [​IMG]

Funny, I try not to get "cheap" stuff while trying to save money (evidence the Fluance SX-HTB and Dayton 10" sub), so I was hesitant to go with the $15-20 mounts first thing wondering if they had a hidden downside.

I'm going to order some AB-2's tonight.

Quick question: It's hard to tell from the pictures, but how does this connect to the actual speaker? The Fluance rears have a small bracket on the back that will accept (what appears to be) a small-mid size bolt-head to support it.

Thanks!
    Mike W.

4. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

The Fluance speakers have two ways to mount them, either with a single bolt on the back or from a pair of pre-threaded machine screw holes on the bottom.

If you haven't ordered those mounts yet take a look at the Barkan speaker mounts at mountusa.com. They are *cool* looking, support up to 11 lbs, and cost < $20.

Donald

5. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Im not sure how the Fluances would mount but the bracket works with 3 different screw sizes I believe. If you find out what size your speaker accepts I can check the instructions to see if it works. Mine used 1/4 - 20 Thread machine screws and had a single hole on the back.

Don - Tried checking out that site but I can't find it. I tried with and without the www

6. Mike*Williams

Well, I didn't order the AB-2's last night as I found I could get them as cheap at Radio Shack ($21.50 after tax, where online they were cheaper but shipping would bring it up to that amount anyway).

I did a Google search on Barkan speaker mounts and found mountsusa.com (there's an "s" on mount). Which model of mount are you referring to? It looks like the Barkan #51's attach to the back (can't tell how by the pictures).

Are you currently using these mounts with the Fluance rears?

Mike W.

7. Mike*Williams

Well, after looking around I think I want to get the B-Tech BT-33s. I can get them from Crutchfield online for $36 shipped for the pair. Here's what Crutchfield listed for "compatibility" along with Single- and Dual-threaded inserts:

(see crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-jvrlP777for/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&cc=01&g=15830&id=detailed_info&i=121BT33B )

8. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

You couldn't find it because I'm an idiot and didn't give you the right link. It's mounts with an 's' as in:
    www.mountsusa.com

Just for fun take a look.

Take care,

Donald