Recommendations for video capture card?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David_Jr, Sep 2, 2003.

1. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Need advice/recommendations on a video capture card/software. This will be used mainly for analog home video, but want to have the option to do digital maybe later. Currently reading reviews for 3 specific products: Pinnacle Studio Deluxe, Dazzle 150 and Adaptec VideOh!. All 3 of these have received some negative reviews, especially with the capture device. The need is to convert analog home videos to DVD. Current setup is a Dell Dimension 4550 Pentium IV, 2.66 ghz, 768 RAM, 80 gig HD, Sony DRU-510A DVD burner, USB 2.0, one open PCI slot. Partial to Pinnacle Studio Deluxe, but find the most negative reviews because of poor tech support and drivers that don't work well with the AVDV capture device. Thanks for the help.

2. Raymond G

Raymond G Agent

Check out the Datavideo DAC100.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Anything Canopus.

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I'm a big fan of the Canopus ADVC-100, but that Datavideo DAC100 looks to be similar for $100 less. might be worth checking out.

5. David_Jr

Dave
    Raymond,
    Do you have any experience with the Datavideo Dac 100? I only seem to be able to find one review (on their website) for this product. It looks good though. Anyone else use this product?

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I absolutely love my Pinnacle Studio Deluxe.

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

A big favorite over at AVS Forums, especially for those on a budget, is the Flyvideo 2000. Where to find one, however, is a different story...

8. David_Jr

Dave
    Thanks much. John, what operating system are you using? Most of the reported problems seem to be with WinXP users, but Win98 users don't report them. Need to use it with WinXP. Are these the problems that the patches you refer to take care of? Thanks again.

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I'm using Windows 2000. I hate XP. I refuse to use XP. So, naturally I have no idea of the reported problems with XP.

10. Raymond G

Raymond G Agent

David_Jr

Yes I have the DAC100 and it works great. I gave it the biggest test this weekend by recording 7 hours of the show "24 Hours". It recorded it great without any dropped frames.

Go to this website www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/ and check on the capture cards on the left side. The DAC100 is basically the same unit as the Canopus ADVC100, but is anywhere from $80 to $100 cheaper.