Recommendations for UK Honk Kong Legends?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Enrique B Chamorro, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

Help,
    There is a sale on the UK R2 PAL Honk Kong Legend DVD's.
    Please give some recommendations, thanks!
    Being tight on funds I was going to only get,
    Police Story 1 & 2.
    I have Criterion's Supercop on laser disc.
    Any other GREAT films I should pick up?
    As a point of reference;
    I love Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,
    but did not like Iron Monkey.
    Swordsman II is just so-so for me.
    see;
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...90#post1060862

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Geez, guess I have to goose this question [​IMG]
    Once Upon a Time in China 1,2,3-Columbia transfers are horrific and fake anamorphic.

3. andrew markworthy

Practically any of the Jackie Chan movies are worth picking up. Ditto the Bruce Lee movies if you're into those. The Naked Killer transfer is supposed to be good (I've bought it but not had chance to view it, so I can't comment).

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I bought Naked Killer recently for a tenner, very good copy, compared to my 'orrible VHS copy, and the sound is much better, a sort of pseudo stereo, but better than the crap mono. Plus it's now totally UNCUT, my old video copy had 'uncut' on the box, but it was a big fat lie, the very first scene of ultra violence is now reinstated as are other bits here and there, and its brighter and more colorful.
    The film may not be to everyones taste, but if you want action, extreme violence, gorgeous girls, nudity, sex, lesbians, martial arts, more nudity, more violence, than this is the one.
    The Chinese director 'Clarence Ford' obviously thought Basic Instinct was the greatest film ever made...[​IMG]

5. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    I bought a bunch of discs in that sale too! The Original POLICE STORY is a must buy, an absolute classic. If your on limited funds you can do without POLICE STORY 2 for the time being and go for MR VAMPIRE instead, a ground breaking, cool and hillarious horror comedy produced by Sammo Hung. ARMOUR OF GOD is one of my personal favourites of Jackies, though there are few extras on the disc. Imagine Under Siege with Jackie Chan instead of Steven Segal BUT made as a sometimes bizzare but always cool action-comedy japanese manga? Then buy CITY HUNTER! It also features the stunning Chingamy Yau (the chick from NAKED KILLER).

Plus many of these disc have a commentary from Bey Logan (HK cinema expert, martial artist, and writer of Jackie's upcoming HIGHBINDERS). His commentaries are an education within themselves, in which you will learn much about not just the film in question but also HK movies as a whole. Entertainment AND a film education!

6. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Drive is a must!!!