Recommendations for TV in $3k to $4k range??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald Lagasse, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Donald Lagasse

I am considering the Toshiba 57HX81.... why? I don't know enough technical knowledge to give you a good answer. The size is right, the price is in the range I am looking for, I want that 16:9 ratio, and that HD capability. Can someone give me some ideas? Is this a good TV for the money? Would you suggest others?

Thanks for the help........... Donald

2. Donald Lagasse

Help!

3. Louis C

Donald,

I am shopping as well, and once considered your set, and also the Panny 53WX42 as a great value (less than $2000 street).

If you can wait a month or so, Sony is planning release of the 57WS500 which has DVI.

I decided to wait for it.

Hope this helps

4. Louis C

I should add that the model you mention can be had for $2400-2700. If you are spending $3000 - 4000 you can do better. That's more than I care to spend so I don't have any suggestions. Not sure if I will have to pay up for the Sony set that's coming. Anyone know the list prices for the Sony 57WS500 or the 51WS500? With my budget I will likely go with the 51.

5. Donald Lagasse

Louis,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking up DVI. I think I have an idea but wanted to confirm. Can you tell me what that is? and also where bcan I get the Toshiba for the price you mentioned?

Thanks

6. mike_decock

Whatever your budget, set aside $500 - $600 of it for an ISF calibration. It'll just about double the quality of the picture.

-Mike...

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee
    Donald,
    A friend of mine just picked up that same Toshiba and it is very good.
    Another idea: one of the Loewe TVs from Europe. They are amazing direct view TVs.
    Yet another idea: Sony 36XBR direct view set, some money for ISF calibration, and spend the rest on the new generation DVD players.
    [​IMG]

8. Louis C

9. Kirk Gunn

I was just quoted 4k for the Mistubishi WS-55909 (List price 5999).

However, with the new Sony's and the Mits WS-55711 coming out soon, who knows what to do ? Let's hope this thread is enlightening !

10. Donald Lagasse

Ah yes! Calibration. I will strongly recommend that. Sounds like it mightbe worth waiting until new models come out. The Sony 36XBR would be too small and that is a 4:3 set anyway isn't it? I need a pretty large >55" 16:9 set in the $3k to $4K range. I'll have to look into the Loewes. Anybody else have any specific sets in mind?

11. Brian Burgoyne

Well, you could buy the Toshiba now and enjoy it...or you could wait a few months for the new models and see what everybody has to say about them. The opinions and comments will run rampant for a few months and a new favorite may appear, or not...you may just have to pick one with the fewer evils. I have a Toshiba 57h81 and am happy with it, at least for now...when I start reading reviews of the new models, then I will start wondering again.

You are in Houston. Don't you have HDTV available through Time Warner Cable? That would make it fairly simple.

12. Stephen Houdek

S
    Hitachi and Calibration........See this link that favorably compares the Hitachi to all contenders.
    Hitachi Review