What's new

Recommendations for some shorter John Wayne movies? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Looking for some recommendations for some shorter length John Wayne movies - I've been watching a bunch of his films, and I've enjoyed them greatly, but most everything I've seen has been two hours or longer. I like long movies, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I have nights where I've only got 90 minutes or so to squeeze a movie in, and I've been disappointed to not have any shorter Wayne movies for those nights. I don't want to put a strict time limit on this but anything that's 90 minutes or less is ideal, but I'm not gonna shun something that's a few minutes over.

So any suggestions for some shorter John Wayne movies to fit into limited timeslots? I can play all region BDs and DVDs, and I've got streaming with Vudu and iTunes, so as long as its available one of those ways, that's good enough for me.

(And don't worry, I promise to keep watching the longer movies as time permits.)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I like one of his early ones called Pittsburgh. It co-stars Randolph Scott and Marlene Dietrich.

I also like the anti-Commie movie Big Jim McClain (1952).

Donovan's Reef (1963) is "fun with the John Wayne gang" in the same way as McClintock!, but not as long.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank you everyone and keep 'em coming :) I'm making a list and can't promise to get to them all in a timely fashion, but I'm really happy to have the suggestions ready to go.

I'm going to start with ordering The Train Robbers, Overland Stage Raiders and Wake Of The Red Witch (I kept seeing that cover on my suggested items list on Amazon and had been curious for a while anyway), and will keep an eye out for the others sooner or later.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Train Robbers (1973).... 92 mins, out on domestic Blu
Hondo (1953).... 83 mins, desperately needs a 3D Blu release, but is easily available "flat" on both domestic Blu and DVD

I second these, plus TALL IN THE SADDLE. For short Wayne movies, you're mostly going to have to dig into his early pre-STAGECOACH days...but there are a lot of fun movies in there. Try these 2 3-movie DVD sets (I have both); the films are all around an hour or less:

91JIKmmdXyL._SX342_.jpg

51SIXcGloCL._SY300_.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tall in the Saddle is among my five favorite John Wayne films of all-time. Vudu has a very good HDX digital presentation of it.

Cool, I'll check that out - thanks! I was very interested to see which film(s) you'd recommend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cool, I'll check that out - thanks! I was very interested to see which film(s) you'd recommend.
Now I caution you might not have the same affinity towards it as I do because part of why I love this film is because of my boyhood crush on the female lead in this film, Ella Raines. Also, Gabby Hayes was very good in this film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Now I caution you might not have the same affinity towards it as I do because part of why I love this film is because of my boyhood crush on the female lead in this film, Ella Raines. Also, Gabby Hayes was very good in this film.

It doesn't have to be the best thing ever, just a nice way to spend 90 minutes, and I don't think you've ever steered me wrong. We might not always like the same movies to the same degree, but I don't think I've ever disliked anything you've steered me towards. I remain appreciative of your suggestions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of my other Wayne film recommendations that are 100 minutes or less.

Angel and the Badman
Back to Bataan
Flying Tigers
Seven Sinners with Marlene Dietrich (Great Bar Fight)
The Spoilers with Marlene Dietrich & Randolph Scott
Pittsburgh with Marlene Dietrich & Randolph Scott
Hondo
Sands of Iwo Jima

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Here's another short Wayne film that slipped my mind before:

The_Shepherd_of_the_Hills.jpg

It's somewhat atypical for the Duke, but actually quite wonderful. The DVD looks quite nice, with some lovely Technicolor photography. It's got Harry Carey Sr. in it, plus Ward Bond. And Betty Field is luminous. Highly recommended (oh, and its 98 minutes).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here's another short Wayne film that slipped my mind before:

The_Shepherd_of_the_Hills.jpg

It's somewhat atypical for the Duke, but actually quite wonderful. The DVD looks quite nice, with some lovely Technicolor photography. It's got Harry Carey Sr. in it, plus Ward Bond. And Betty Field is luminous. Highly recommended (oh, and its 98 minutes).
Last week I was channel surfing and came across it and started watching it again. The film was half over so I only watched it from that point forward, but plan to watch my DVD of it again in its entirety. Another Technicolor film that Wayne starred in that I would love to have on Blu-ray. If I ever get this film and 3 Godfathers on Blu-ray, I can die a happy man.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Has anybody mentioned War of the Wildcats (1943, 102 minutes)? I've always loved that one...Martha Scott, Gabby Hayes and the reliably evil Albert Dekker...great stunts and action too...and darn funny also, with a witty screenplay...

A real change of pace, the delightful Without Reservations (1946, 107m) Duke with the exquisite Claudette Colbert and directed by Mervin Le Roy...a wonderful road trip loaded with period celebrity cameos that will blow your mind...

The Lady Takes a Chance (1943, 86m), another change of pace... the Duke in NYC with the equally delightful Jean Arthur and Phil Silvers! Fun movie with some absolutely hilarious sequences...Is it available on disc? This was a rare independent production distributed by RKO...if you can see it anywhere, it's a treat that should be seen...

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
1939's "Allegany Uprising" clocks in under 90 minutes, and I love it. Duke felt his acting was terrible in it, but I really can't see it. He plays his role like most other roles he played throughout his long career. If there is one thing where the film falls slightly short, is Claire Trevor's role. The director for some reason has her screeching her lines for a good portion of the film. But that is made up by one of the best, most intelligent villain's in Duke's career...George Sanders as Captain Swanson. And to call him a villain is not entirely fair, as he feels he is only following the King's orders, on how his is treating the colonials.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks