What's new

Recommendations for screen size..? (1 Viewer)

JustinCam

Auditioning
Hello All,

I’ll start off by saying I’m new to HT and appreciate any input, although this is my first post this forum has already helped me tremdenously.

I’m currently in the process of converting a section of my basement (140x250”) into a dedicated HT. One of the problems is the low ceiling height around the parameter of the room 77” this is to conceal some duct work and was done by the pervious owner along w/ the drywall on the ceiling.

The projector I’m using is an InFocus X1.

For my sreen I plan on making a DIY unit w/ blackout cloth, I am new to HT, but also a new homeowner so I’m on a budget.

My question as far as screen size is do I go w/ 4:3 or 16:9. Originally I was set on 16:9 but then I got thinking, I also plan on using it for xbox and ocasional TV viewing, so maybe 4:3 is the way to go?

Things I also need to consider is the X1’s realativly low light output especially in movie mode, so I read that I should keep the screen size between 80-90” diagonal, would you agree with this..?

If that’s the case and the blackout comes in a maximum 54” width, so in 4:3 the screen would be 54x72”.? Is this a good size for my room/equipment..?

Wow, that’s a fairly long post again thanks in advance for any and all help..!

Regards,
Jusitn

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I initially was going with blackout fabric but was scared of wrinkles.
I went with sheetrock instead.
As far as a screen size, I was going to 52x92 at first but then decided I could have a bigger screen.
I ended up with 58x104.
If you have a blank wall that you can show the projector on, use that as a reference.
That should help you decide on a screen size.
As far as 4:3 or 16:9, that was a no brainer.
Since 16: 9 is the future, that's what I went with.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Considering the X1 is native 4x3 @ 800x600, I would opt for a 4x3 screen. The limiting factor based on your room's length width and height is the ceiling height. The X1 is bright enough, especially in a room with light control for the screen size not to be your first limiting factor.

A screen size of 90" diagonal 4x3 is no problem for the X1 as far as light output is concerned. What you need to determine is can your room accomodate a 54"x72" screen in such a way that it is viewable for everyone. How do you plan on arranging your seating and by that I mean, are you going to have 2 rows of seating (one behind the other)? You most likely cannot accomodate that scenario with the 6'+ ceiling height though.

Anyway, with a 90" screen with 3" borders, you are looking at mounting the top of the screen fairly flush to the ceiling and that will place the bottom edge ~ 17-18" from the floor which is fairly low. You cannot have the field of view blocked by someone sitting in front. You should be ok with one row of seating.

I hope this helps you out a little.

JustinCam

Auditioning
Excellent replies thanks for the help..

I do only plan on having 1 row of seating. I must admit I never really did take into consideration the borders of the screen.. :b Excellent point! You are right 17" does seem a little low, too low perhaps.?

Regards,
Justin

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Assuming 3" borders, the actual image would be 20" off the ground. What I suggest is actually drawing/framing the screen exactly using those dimensions and place your seating in their locations. Then you can get a good idea of what the screen will look like for people watching movies in your HT. You can even use some large sheets of paper or something to simulate the screen.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
My Sanyo is native 4:3 but can show widescreen stuff.
That's something to think about when you upgrade to another projector down the line.
I'm sure you'll be happy with a 4:3 or 16:9 screen since you have a projector.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If the projector is native 4x3, it will show widescreen movies with black bars on the top and bottom, like any regular 4x3 TV does. On the flip side, a native 16x9 projector will show some widescreen movies filling the entire screen and others with smaller black bars on the top and bottom. It will show 4x3 material with black bars to the sides, all stretching/cropping modes aside.

Forgive my ignorance but are most/all XBox games 4x3 or widescreen?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on getting the X1 and already have a 4:3 screen built. Its easier to mask a 4:3 screen for the various widescreen formats then to mask a 16:9 screen for 4:3 and the widescreen formats. One thing to remember though is that you have to place your centre channel somewhere either under or above the screen if you're using any of these screens...that is unless you get a acoustically transparent screen.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
My Sanyo shows 1:85:1 movies show perfectly when in widescreen mode but 2:35:1 and 1:78:1 movies have black bars at the top and bottom.
1:78:1 looks better than 2:35:1 though.
I wish all movies were 1:85:1!

Justin,
I'm still on a budget.
That's why I had someone build a screen instead of buying one from Stewart, Draper or Dalite.

JustinCam

Auditioning
Neil,

Thanks again for the help, I laid the screen dimensions out on the wall w/ masking tape, the frame is going to be a little low but I don't think it's too bad, the centre channel still has ample room, I'm tempted to take the projector out of the box and throw up an image.. but I promised myself I wouldn't set anything up until all the wires are run properly and everything is setup.. Otherwise I'll be tempted to just leave it..

Glenise,

I'm still very much in the before stage, I will definatly get some pics up soon..

Also,

Some games support 16:9 one even supports 1080i but, it is my understanding that the main menu (console) is 480p only and won't show up on the X1 unless you switch and use the S-Video cable..

Which is going to lead to my next bunch of questions on how to connect everything, but I'm sure I'll find all the answers in the great FAQ on here..!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks