Recommendations for SACD player?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt Butler, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I have a Yamaha 5.1 DD/DTS reciever with a 6 channel output and am wanting a SACD player but Im on a budget. I heard of a decent Sony player around the $150 to $200 mark. Im not looking for real high end but not crap either. Just something basic that I can enjoy and get the 5.1 as well.

Any help and/or advise is appreciated.

Thanks friends! [​IMG]

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Matthew the SACD player you're looking for is the DVP-NS755V. It's also a progressive scan DVD player. It runs $300 list, $250 street, or often closer to $200 street. Crutchfield has a great page on it right here. I have the predecessor to this model, the DVP-NS500V. Like you I was on a budget. I got mine as a floor model from Best Buy for $112. It cleaned up really well, and works very nicely! I've got about 6 SACDs and they all sound really amazing through this little budget unit!

Recommended. Nice darn SACD player.

But, you need to be aware that I think we're only a couple months from wide availability of universal players that will eb compatible with both SACD and DVD-Audio. I have two machines for the two formats, and both formats have some very compelling software and both are worth being compatible with. You may want to wait.

3. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads up Phil.

Ill make note of that model or wait a couple months.

Any other suggestions?

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I am probably going to get the Denon 2900 universal player in June (SRP $999). I thought about the Pioneer Elite 47a but it's not true DVD-A as it converts the signal to PCM. The 2900 is progressive scan and is true DVD-A and plays SACD, CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, MP3s and even Kodak Picture CDs. My only dissapointment is that the 2900 doesn't have HDCD playback.

I wasn't aware of any other comparable universal players for under $1000 and don't want to wait and see what comes out for Xmas. I am confident that the 2900 will be cool and I have always had good luck with Denon (I just bought the Denon AVR 1803 receiver and absolutely love it). Despite what High Fidelity Reviw says, the 2900 does have digital outs. You can look at the owners manual on Denon's website and see for yourself.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have the Sony DVP-NS755V and it is a very nice machine. This is probably the only choice now for a budget SACD player. The Sony model that was music only SACD player has been discontinued.

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matthew, consider the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer. The CD and SACD performance is excellent given the price, and the build quality is solid. Also, the 'C222ES comes with a five-year warranty. While the 'C222ES retails for $500, you should be able to get one for around $350 through Oade Bros. (1-229-229-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). All three are authorized dealers. For more on the 'C222ES, go to www.crutchfield.com .

8. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I am not sure you can find them anymore but I got a Sony CE-775 5 disk sacd changer for 149.00 last year, and IMO it is a great player.

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I purchased a 222es for $339 shipped from JandR. Very solid performance on CD and SACD.

10. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Sony DVP-NC650V. I picked one up brand new clearance($189) at BEST BUY about a month ago. I didn't need the progressive scan capability of the 755 and was able to get this 5 disc changer for much less.

DSOTM has never sounded so SWEET! [​IMG]

11. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

Just to confuse everybody, Michael Bishop of Telarc recently stated that virtually ALL players, whether universal or supposedly SACD only, convert DSD to PCM if you use any kind of bass management or level control.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...es/133505.html

Makes the whole thing rather confusing, don't you think?

Steve

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Bass management is a dicey issue with hi-res sources, and you should carefully evaluate your system's capabilities before buying any player IMO. I don't think this is a huge issue for most folks, but better not to have any surprises.

I'm not sure how exactly the bass management is executed on the various players, but it definitely degrades the sound on my Sony C555ES. So much so, in fact, that I immediately bypassed it for all listening, and have only engaged it since to verify and confirm my initial findings. Even blinded (gracias, mi esposa!) and carefully level controlled (the BM circuitry also lowers the volume level on my player), the "BM'd" signal is very noticeably inferior to a direct one.

The Outlaw ICBM-1 is the fix, however, and to my ears and on my system is virtually transparent. At $199 (for B-stock), I consider it a bargain. But if you rarely listen to multichannel SACD and have fairly substantial main speakers (at least small towers or very large bookshelves) and more than itty-bitty ones in the center and rear positions (say, down to at least 50Hz without any rolloff), you may be fine for most music by simply bypassing bass management altogether (either the ICBM or onboard varieties).

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

You are correct Justin.

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I vote for the 222ES, you kind'a wonder when or if there will be another 5-disc changer or relatively inexpensive stand-alone player. I envision a future where players play about 15 formats but do none of them well.