Recommendations for RPG games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i just finished building my pc (click here for specs) and am ready to do some serious gaming! [​IMG]
    i get motion sick pretty easily, so FPS's are probably not in order. at least not yet.
    so, i'm thinking that a cool RPG style game may be more for me. i know games like Diablo II, Everquest and Never-(something)-Nights are pretty popular, but that's about all i know. i'm not particular to any one genre (d&d, military, space-conquest, etc.). i'm just hoping for cool graphics, solid game-play, good replayability factor, etc. i also assume most of these are on-line multi-player capable?
    so, please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.
    also, what are some good websites for gaming reviews? the only ones i know about are ign and gamespot.
    as always, thanks!
    ted

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Both the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series of games are excellent. Both are multiplayer cabpable. Neverwinter Nights is a new game from the same people, but it's a bit different from BG and IWD. Check out www.bioware.com

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

cool - thx for the info don!

4. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

If you're into gritty, post-apocalyptic, Max Max-style settings you can't go wrong with Fallout 1 and 2. Sure, they're not exactly new games but the double pack is very cheap. Just don't expect eye-popping graphics or flashy presentation. But the story is really, really good. IMO of course. [​IMG] Bioware was involved with Fallout as well.
    I second the Baldur's Gate series and their expansions (also going cheap these days). These games will keep you busy for ages.

5. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed Arcanum quite a bit - very much in the Fallout tradition.

6. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Planescape Torment is an excellent PC RPG... Try it along with the others mentioned.

7. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Ted Lee:

Do you have any consoles? If you do have either the Playstation or Playstation 2, You can play some very good console RPGs on them. If not, I would recommend either the PSOne (updated Playstation console) which runs for $50. Inexpensive, and with a huge game library of groundbreaking games...

For the PSOne or Playstation, some good games:

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Final Fantasy Tactics
    3. Suikoden I and II
    4. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
    5. Xenogears
    6. Legend of Legaia
    7. Vagrant Story
    8. Wild Arms 1
    9. Final Fantasy Chronicles

Some non RPGs that were and are groundbreaking:
    1. Gran Turismo 1 and 2
    2. Metal Gear Solid
    3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    4. Any Madden or NFL game...
    5. Resident Evil: Director's Cut
    6. Silent Hill (Play this at night with no lights - leaves you with nightmares!)

Hope this helps!

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks guys - i'll be sure to check out your recommendations.
    woo - i don't have a console, but if i do, i'll keep your list handy. howz the anime watching going? [​IMG]

9. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Ted,
    Dungeon Siege might be worth a look.

J

10. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Well, pop over into the anime forum, and you can see what I have left... [​IMG]
    Well let me just add that I have just got a car adapter in my hands at work for the PSOne, and along with my LCD screen from sony I will now be able to play Playstation games in the car... pretty neat, IMHO.
    Still working on re finshing Xenogears - the story in that game never gets old...

11. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I'll chime in for both the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series. Great games!

I'd also have to say check out Dungeon Siege. I personally found it to be one of the most enjoyable rpg lite games I've ever played. Especially if you can play over a lan with a friend or two.

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Woo, thanks for the awesome list! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I just picked up Final Fantasy Anthology & FF Chronicles and am really getting into Chrono Trigger. Whereas the newer FF games were a bit too daunting for me, the older ones are right up my alley.
    I'll have to check out Xenogears now. Is it relatively easy to find?
    cheers,
    Joseph

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

More strategty than RPG but I liked Freedom Force quite a lot. Of course, I collected comic books a while and can appreciate the humor in this due to that. Lots of fun...

15. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Just a note with Xenogears:

This game will easily last you 50-75 hours with it's awesome story and music. Gameplay can get repetitive (well, it is a console RPG) and it is annoying that you cannot control text speed, but if you take it slow and take some notes [not a common practice with RPGs, but with this game, it helps] you will really enjoy the story. Starts off slow, then just grabs you and won't let go. And the game gets better on replays (though its length may seem daunting).

Joseph Young: Thanks for the kudos! I should have added those two titles to my list, because both are worth playing. But for someone just starting out, it may be a bit daunting.

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Neverwinter Nights is a must buy.

17. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks again guys...it looks like neverwinter nights or icewind dale are going to be my first crack.

i've been playing deus ex and kind of dig it, but i can't play it very long. :b