Recommendations for reciever in 600-700 price range?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt K P, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Matt K P

Matt K P Agent

I am exchanging my yamaha htr-5790 and would like to know if there is anything better in the same price range. I will probably just get another yammie, but i am open to suggestions.

I was looking at the HK avr-630, denon 2805, or the onkyo tx 702.

I use this reciever for home theatre and music listening. I usually listen at around -25 db to music and -10 for movies.

speakers in sig.

thanks
    matt

2. RandyAT

RandyAT Auditioning

I have almost the speakers as you excepy that I have e-80s for fronts I just purchased the AVR630 3 weeks ago let me tell you I didnt go wrong and the logic 7 for regular tv is awsome The power of reciever is way under rated at 75 watts I was useing a Sony rated at 120 watts the HK kicks its ass For music I neo 6 great base response from this reciever and if you buy a refurbished unit you still get the full manufactures warranty same as a new unit.
    Setup is easy as the remote has a built in mic Im running all my speakers in small excpt the fronts and the base at +2 treble at 0.
    I guess you could say Im very happy with thuis reciever and would recommend it
    Randy and Tina

3. andrew_v

andrew_v Extra

you might want to consider the 54tx from pioneer elite. much more powerful than the htr-5790. also, you should also check out the new yamahas. either the rx-v1500 or if you have money the rx-v2500.

4. Matt K P

Matt K P Agent

is the vsx-1014 the same as the 54tx? they seem to have the same stuff?

I always hear everyone talk about yamaha and HK but not so much about pioneer. Is pioneer's stuff up to par with them?

~matt

5. andrew_v

andrew_v Extra

not the lower end pioneers but the higher end pioneers, specifically the pioneer elites, perform extremely well. the vsx-1014 is actually a stripped down version of the 52tx. the power supplys and amps are basically the same.

6. warren whit

warren whit Agent

you can pick up a onkyo TX-NR801 for under 700 at 6ave dot com.

7. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Auditioning

I'm in the same boat, although I am streching the buget to < 1500. I am looking at Yamaha and have heard the RX-1500 beats systems over $1500 at $650. Based on what i know, that's where i would point you, but I just joined this fourm to get smarter. If you found something around a grand that really did soemthing for you, pass a word my way.
    Johnny

8. Marcus Parham

Marcus Parham Auditioning

Love the sound of Harmon Kardon, and if can, give a serious listen to the marantz line of recievers. The sr7400 should be offered at a good price because the sr7500 is due out soon. If you are going to look in the $1500 range then the sr8500 marantz will be as feature rich and sweet sounding as any

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I just bought the SR7400 two weeks ago and love it thus far. It was a $1000 machine, but can be had for $700 due to the new ST7500 coming out. There might be only a few units left. I think the only difference for the 7500 is 7.1 vs. 6.1 and auto-setup.

Doug