What's new

Recommendations for rear in ceiling speakers (1 Viewer)

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm finally at the end of building the audio side of my HT. I just ordered the Anthem AVM20 and I need some good in-ceiling rear speakers to go along with my Diva 6.1's, C3, and R3's. I listened to some Paradigm SA-15R's today and was impressed. I also have some B&W speakers available, CWM650's, I think, but have not listened to them yet. They are both about the same price but not sure how the metal tweeters in both of these will match up with the silk dome tweeters of my Diva's. Maybe it won't matter because they'll just be used for rear surrounds? Anyone have any other suggestions to check out? I have to have on ceiling or in ceiling speakers as the back of my HT opens up into the kitchen. They will be amped with a Cinepro 2K6III. thanks for your help.

Mike

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Hi Mike. I'm sorry to say that I do not have any specific in ceiling suggestions, but I do know several people that like the extra sparkle of metal tweeters in their rear channels for HT so I don't think it would be totally out of line to use them :)
Hope that helps...
Regards,
Sean

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I'm in a similar situation as my home theater opens up to the kitchen at the back of the room. I have a Paradigm setup and have been looking for just the right speaker(s) to install on my ceiling for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. I had the locations pre-wired with 12 gauge speaker cable when my house was built a little over a year ago, but I've only recently started to get serious about installing some speakers for the rear surround back channel(s)
I don't want to use inwalls - I'm worried they will color my sound with wall resonances, vibrations, etc., so I've been looking for a nice looking, compact speaker with wide dispersion characteristics to use for my rear surround back channel(s).
I think I've found a real contender in the new Mirage Omnisats:
http://www.miragespeakers.com/image/omisat_img/3.jpg
http://www.miragespeakers.com/image/omisat_img/4.jpg
My girlfriend thinks they look like oil cans, but I love the way they look, and they happen to fit in with the retro space-age decor of my home. They also seem to have the dispersion characteristics necessary for the location where I will install them.
However, I don't think these speakers are available yet, and I have no idea how much they will cost. There was some info about them I saw on the Mirage website over the weekend, but now the Mirage website appears to have regressed and there is no info about the Omnisats that I can find.
Does anyone know the deal with these speakers? Is it possible to purchase Mirage speakers online, and can Mirage speakers often be had at a discount? Mirage is a Canadian speaker company, so maybe it will be cheaper to purchase them over the border. I'm leaving on a trip to Quebec in early July, maybe I will find out more then.
Cary

Cam S

Screenwriter
What about the Klipsch Reference Contractor series? I have heard them and they sound wonderful.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into them and see what shakes out. I will probably go with one of the two the local dealers have as I'm looking to build that relationship that will help me later when I go to upgrade my TV and DVD player. But it's amazing how just when I think I have my mind made up something happens or a new product comes out and I'm back in my decision making hell box. Oh well, no one said puting together a HT was easy.

Mike

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Cary P,
I think the omnisat's will be $350/ea US. I too was REAL excited about them, but the wife is already hooked on in-ceilings. :frowning:
I haven't really shown her pictures yet, as this purchase will be later, so there is no sense in stirring things up this far out... :)

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
I have the B&W 8" rounds, but if I were to do it again, I might try the NHT 6.3xxx (not sure of the specific model). It has 3 tweeters that have a very diffuse sound field.

The B&Ws work fine, by the way.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Warren,
Is there a particular reason why you would try the NHT's? What don't the B&W's give you that you think the NHT's would? Anyone have the NHT website address? Again, thanks for all the options.

Mike

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed
But I'm thinking the NHT 6.3s have an MTM configuration. Have a link for a 3 tweeter NHT inwall?
BTW, Has anyone had success with bipolar in-ceiling installations? I know DefTech, Triad, and B&W offer bi-polar in-walls, but I'm curious about in-ceiling performance.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
The reason I would use NHT 6.3cs for in-ceilings would be for a more diffuse sound field for rear channels in a HT system. The B&Ws work well, but when I put them in I thought I'd be listening to more music and that I would need something more direct. I also thought I'd want a speaker that had a lower frequency response, so I got the 8" rounds. The NHTs I am referring to are 6".

As I said, the B&Ws work fine. They have an aimable tweeter and 3 settings to boost or cut the high end. I haven't aimed the tweeters, but I did boost the high end.

Hope this helps,

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Warren,
I looked at the NHT site and I would probably go with the 8.3's depending on what the price was. Thanks for your comments. In a way it's too bad we have so many choices and can't try them out first especially having to cut a hole in the ceiling to install them. I'm sure which ever ones I choose will be fine.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks