What's new

Recommendations for non-subscription DVR? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are there any decent, non-subscription DVRs? I'd like a hard-drive based, dual-tuner DVR (record one show and live-control or play a second) that doesn't require a monthly subscription. DVD recording is not necessary.

Or, conversely, are there any units with a reasonable monthly fee but no hardware purchase cost?

Ideally, I'd go digital cable with a DVR, but that's not in the budget right now. And the Tivo's method of both buying a unit and paying a monthly fee doesn't work for me.

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
My DVR with Time Warner is only $9 or so a month, without paying for hardware

Not quite a TiVO, but still worth every penny

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd like that, but that requires a full cable subscription, which isn't in the budget right now.

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Without a subscription to cable, I'm not too sure of a DVR without a monthly fee. Maybe others on the board could be more helpful.

I believe that windows media center edition may fill the bill fairly cheaply, depending on the location and hard drive size of your PC

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've often wondered why there aren't more products in this area. Toshiba used to market a High Definition DVR for use with their TVguide equiped tv's. Otherwise, the closest thing would be an HDD dvd recorder. But it wouldn't be able to do half of what you're asking.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Assuming they're re-stocked this week, I'm buying a Tivo :) With current promotions and a gift card, it's the best option around for me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had a dual tuner Tivo from DirectV for a few years and loved it! Then my brother went to work for SBC which bought AT+T which bought DishNetwork so I had to switch. You'll love it too except for the fee.

Users who are viewing this thread