What's new

Recommendations for new tv. I have a problem can you please help me out. (1 Viewer)

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Well guys I'm getting promoted at work and now I'll be making more money. I start my new position Sunday. I currently have a 24" Sony Wega but I want a bigger tv. I was thinking of buying a 36" HDTV version but there expensive, about $1700-$2000+ for the ones I was looking at. I figure for that price I might as well buy a Mitsubishi 48" Widescreen Rear-Projection HDTV. Now here lies my problem I'm only sitting about 6 feet away from my tv. I can probably change some stuff around so that I'm sitting further back a few more feet. My main complaint is by having a 48" and sitting about 6 feet back, will I risk damaging my eyes? I would like to get my money's worth and this seems to be the most logical. Or should I not even bother with rear-projection tv's? What do you guys think?

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
I sit about 7ft from my 47" and find it quite acceptable for DVD watching. Digital and satellite cable look better from one or two feet further back. If you could re-arrange and create a viewing position of about 7 or 8 feet you could get away with something in the 47" range easily, but I wouldn't go any bigger.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Try a 43" projection.I just got a 43" HDTVready and Im about 6 feet and it looks GREAT.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Yeah the highest size tv I would buy is a 48" because of the size of the room. I don't want to over do it. I really want to buy a widescreen rear-projection HDTV. I've talked to a few people and they recommended Mitsubishi. So what do you think? Also if I go for example a 48" will it be considered a low model thus the quality and features aren't there? Please help guys, many are looking at this thread but none and replying. I need your help. For those that did reply thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
As far as I know, 40 or 43 is the smallest size of rear projection you can go with.My Hitichi was very good priced and has lots of goodies, ( 4:3 $1499 or 16:9 $18.99 )
at Circuit City.Hope this helps

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Like you, I have a small room. I bought a 42" Toshiba (42H81) and am thoroughly delighted with it. The Toshes are about 6" shallower than other RPTVs, and that helps a lot in a small room.
I'm admittedly in a minority, but I don't believe in the "go as big as possible" philosophy. I know that people talk of "shrinkage" (no, not that shrinkage!) in which your big ol' TV that seems to fill the room on Day One "shrinks" after a couple of weeks, so they suggest going as big as possible, like buying your pants too long so they'll shrink to the right length when you wash 'em.
I think this "shrinkage" is really an erosion of the "wow" factor. The wow factor is going to erode inevitably over time, however large the screen. Meanwhile, if the screen is too big/too close and you see every little flaw in the picture and speck of dust on the front glass, your viewing enjoyment is going to go down, down, down as you concentrate more on the picture than on the movie.
I'd say: measure where the TV will go. See how far back you'll be sitting from the front of the screen. Sit that far away in the store for as long as you can in front of TVs of various sizes. Find the screen that's the right size for you.
Good luck!
Jan

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Jan is right, however viewing it in the store can be a problem if the showroom is large and open, yes it is an optical illusion, but tv's do seem smaller in large open showrooms surrou8nded by other tv's.

DougR

Second Unit
The HT Room that I have set up is small also. I went with the Toshiba 42H82 . Seen in the Sears flier that it's "On Sale" at $1699.99 ( Save more with Coupons in flier).
I too, wouldn't go for a "Larger is Better" type situation. Seems like your eyes would be too busy wandering around the screen trying to catch everything ?:D But then again, you might want to go BIGGER just to "Out Do the Jones's" :b
Good Luck
-Doug
Toshiba 42H82

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks