Recommendations for new speaker setup.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Ellis, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Dennis Ellis

Dennis Ellis Stunt Coordinator

I need to get new satellites for the front/rear/mid and a new sub. I want the sat's to be as small as possible. How are the Bose Acoustimass 6 Series II speakers?
    I haven't posted alot here but I've been a member for a while and it seems Bose aren't very popular. I'd like to keep the cost under $500 or so. ANy ideas?
    de

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

If you really want the Bose setup, then get it, as its the only thing that will make you happy. However be aware that the Acoustimass design leaves large sonic holes in the midrange and lends itself to boomy bass.
    Just go to any hifi shop, and find some of their smaller speakers. Listen to them, and if possible, A/B w/ the Bose setup. I did this once w/ Paradigm's smallest speaker, Atom?, and some multicube bass thing. The atoms, without a sub, were so much clearer and crisp and seemed to be on part with bass extension. Not to mention 1/5 the price.
    I know that Polk Audio, Def Tech and Boston all make good small speaker sets.
    Good luck,
    Jon

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Polk RT25i or even RT15i speakers all around sounds like a plan: on sale at crutchfield. The JBL NSP1 5-piece package which has a street price of $280 would certainly give you crisp highs the bose satellites lack not to mention seamless midrange at half the cost and twice the asthetics.....with bose, you're better off with something else.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Site
    The At-Home Home Theater (E.L.)
    The Dorm Room Theater (E.L.)

4. Dennis Ellis

Dennis Ellis Stunt Coordinator

The Polk RT25i (11-1/8"H x 6-11/16"W x 10-1/4"D ) and RT15i (11-1/8"H x 6-11/16"W x 8-9/16"D ) are bigger than I want.
    The NSB1 is slightly smaller but still large.
    (H x W x D): Satellites: 9-1/2" x 6-1/4" x
    4-3/4"
    Sorry to be so picky. I have honestly never listened to bose speakers so I'm really unsure what to do. I will get out and listen sooner or later. I just thought I could narrow my search down a little beforehand.
    ANy other suggestions?
    de

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

6. shaun_p

shaun_p Extra

I have the AVS500 setup from Mirage, Whilst not quite as compact as the Bose they are small and sound very sweet indeed

7. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I would definitely reccomend the Energy Take 5 set. I haven't done any looking, but at soundpros.com you can get the take 5 with the sub for $525 shipped. They are also very small. The sattelites are about the size of a box of pop tarts. I had this set, and needlessly upgraded to some B&W speakers. They are still a great little set of speakers, despite all the new sets coming out.

8. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

If you want small satellites like the Bose, check out the Anthony Gallo Nuclues.
    http://www.roundsound.com
    I haven't heaerd them, but most of the people who have them really like them. There are a few people who sell them over at Audiogon. I think they go for like $199/pair, maybe $500 for a set of 5.
    I'm thinking about a pair for the bedroom. Their new Due speaker looks cool, too, although I don't think its out yet.
    Aaron

9. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

I will second the recommendation for the Energy Take 5 system. It's much better sounding than the Bose...

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor