What's new

Recommendations for Isolation Devices? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,
Mike Knapp discusses the impact of isolation devices under speakers and electronics. I am interested in learning more about what experiences people on the forum have had with these devices. I know there are special types for various equipment and many different kinds like Navcom silencers, tip-toe type points for speakers and electronics, suspension based devices, etc. There are also equipment stands that try to improve isolation by creating a "vise grip" effect on the system's boxes.
Have you ever tried or do you currently use isolation devices?
How have they worked?
Were they worth the money and how much did you pay?
Thank you for the input.
:)
Lee

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
"Have you ever tried or do you currently use isolation devices?"
I just recently added some Audio Selection cone isolators to my front floor standing speakers.
"How have they worked?"
I immediately noticed a difference. The bass tightened up signicantly and the imaging improved as well.
"Were they worth the money and how much did you pay?"
I definitely feel that they were worth the money. The bass was a bit muddy without them. They are $39.95 for a set of four at Audio Advisor (see link below).
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20Set%20of%204
As a side note, I did not use the adhesive that was attached to the bottom of the cones. Instead, I stripped off the adhesive with a razor blade and used some Blu-Tak to affix the cones to the bottom of the speaker.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Oops. how did I miss this post?
I use spikes on my speaker stands and blu-tak between the stand and the speakers (audio system).
I use vibra-pods on my CD transport
I have isolation cones on my turntable
I have neoprene half domes under my home theater processor.
The costs of these things vary but none were more than 20 bucks per unit isolated.
www.partsexpress.com will have most of this stuff available. The 1/2 domes can be gotten at K-mart. They are designed to be used on a wall to keep the doorknob from busting through the drywall. You will find them in the hardware section, place them dome up under the equipment. If you have bookshelf speakers, spikes can be made from arrow tips. Ask at the archery shop for what is called a field point.
I have used bicycle inner tubes under things and sandbags on top of them. Instead of sand bags you can use wrist weights, they look better too.
Experiment and have fun.
Mike

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,
Thank you for the response. :)
This is good advice and I am looking into doing these things. I think this is one area where you don't have to do high end devices to get great sound.
Lee

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
If you can find them, look for FoculPods. They are made by a company called Spectra Dynamics. Absolutely stunning, IMHO. They can transform pretty much anything you put them under. I've found the biggest effect to be on CD players.

/Jeff

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
ever thought of using the foam that they use in the TempurPedic beds? they'll send you a free evaluation sample...maybe cut a few squares and put it under whatever it is.

H

Hank

I use BDR cones under my SACD player and Vibrapods under my PS Audio P300. I use the stock spikes under my Paradigm speakers.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
About a month ago I picked up a couple of sets of Aurios 1.2 isolation bearings, and they have been one of the best additions to my system. More immediately noticable than almost any component or cable change that I have tried.
Clearer top end, more bass definition, and blacker background being the most immediately noticable differences, but overall just an improvement in the sense of "being there".
Cost? A set of three 1.2's retails for $399, but I found them at Link Removed for $200.
I was hestitant at first, but now I couldn't imagine my system without them. I use one set under my cdp, and the other set under my pre-amp.
There's been a lot of discussion about them at AA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks