Recommendations for inexpensive surrounds

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chuck Schilling, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a pair of inexpensive rear surround speakers for my second HT system. Since it's going into an apartment, I'm not interested in hitting reference levels, and accuracy isn't as important as having a broad frequency response since I don't have a subwoofer in the system.

By inexpensive, I mean I'd like to spend no more than $100 for the pair. I'm willing to consider mail order/internet as well as buying from a retailer.

Oh, and the system is:
    Kenwood 1080VR receiver
    NHT Super One xu mains
    NHT Super Center
    Sony DVD player

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I don't know what to tell you, I don't know anyting under $100. I would check out onecall.com and browse around a little... see if they have anything.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I'm in your same position. The surrounds will just be to fill things out - let me play with 5.1. If you want to have some fun, check this out:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-640&DID=7

I might do this and build some nice wall mounting brackets into them.

I think the sound will KILL any pre-built speaker in the price range.

4. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

JBL N24II's from J&R (www.jandr.com) are under 100 and are of decent quality.

5. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I also took a spin up to Best Buy and Circuit City yesterday and was impressed with the Polk R15. Does anyone have any opinion of that speaker? It's a little higher than what I was planning to spend, but still within reason and sounded pretty good to me.

6. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

If you like the R15's, then once again.. go to www.jandr.com. They go for about $100 there, but unlike the jbl's they don't have free shipping.

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

But why would he pay for shipping when he can do a local pickup for the R15s?

I've owned the Polk R30s and I wasn't too impressed. But then again the price point isn't bad. I think my best recommendation would be to find a used pair of speakers for your rear surrounds. Nothing new for $100 will get you much. Don't Atoms go for around $100ish on Ebay?

8. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps a pair of used NHT superzeros. They can be had for around $120-160 used.

9. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Good call dan-0 - I'm not sure how tibre matched NHTs are w/ one another but I'm certain that those SuperZeros will match better than those low end Polks.

10. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, I was using a pair of Polk R20s for a while that I was moderately happy with. They've since been replaced by B&W DM303s, but for how cheaply they're priced they're fairly decent speakers.

All IMO, of course.

11. The Void

The Void Agent

I got a pair of new Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 speakers off ebay for about $70 shipped. They work great as rear speakers. They sound as good as many speakers with much higher price tags. I got them because I figured they would blend well with my Wharfedale Sapphires in the front and the price was sure right. They blend with the Sapphires really well. I am very happy with them so far.

I would probably stick with NHT if I were you. Used may be the way to go to keep the price low.

12. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    I would look at Home Theater Direct. They make decent speakers at a great price.

Level 1 speakers are only $39 for the pair! I have two friends who use these as their rears and they sound great.

HTD Level 1

Or look at their Level II speakers, they are $139 a pair but are really nice. They are larger bookshelf speakers though.

Level II

Jeff