Recommendations for inexpensive home theater

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul^w, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Paul^w

Paul^w Auditioning

I am a bit new at all this home theater stuff, so I am sorry if this is a stupid question. I want to get my father a home theater setup, reciever and speakers, for his birthday, BUT I only have about 500 dollars. I have looked at some of the HTIB stuff and it has not impressed me all that much. What is the best package that I can get for this amount? (I know that this is really not enough money for a serious setup, but any help or ideas or places to look would be greatly appreciated)

Thanks.

2. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

Paul, does that price include electronics, or just the speakers (and subwoofer)?

3. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

4. Paul^w

Paul^w Auditioning

That 500 is for both the receiver and the speakers. Also I do not need to budget for a dvd player as he already has one.

5. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

6. Hank VT

Hank VT Agent

Athena Micra 6 and a refurbished Denon or Onkyo.

7. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I think the tykes look decent for the money.

Just a thought, why not spend the money on a refurbed receiver and get 3 speakers for the front. There are any number of refurbed receivers like the Onkyo 501 for $150 and then you could get a pr of JBL E30 for $140 and the EC35 center for $140. This would be a great start. Shipping would bring you to $500.

Point your Dad to the Dayton Tiny Mighty for $100 and even some JBL E10's or N24's to round out the surrounds.

The sound quality will be better out of these speakers, resale is higher, and you have numerous options to upgrade.

8. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Check out the Fluance sx-htb and the dayton 10" sub from parts express. I would suggest a Sherwood receiver if you decide against a refurb.