What's new

Recommendations for great movies like Pulp Fiction? (1 Viewer)

I watched it 3 straight times on DVD, still want to watch it again. Intelligent, emotional, raw, thought-provoking and symbolic movies are makes a movie compelling to me.
Some examples:
The Matrix
Goodfellas
Once were Warriors
Blade Runner
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Thanks
------------------
Hideaway Shivas

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
How about Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Things to do in Denver When You're Dead?
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
[Edited last by Tom_G on September 29, 2001 at 06:26 PM]

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Memneto, Fight Club are 2 that come to my mind.
------------------
-Keith-

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Fight Club is definitely my most-watched DVD. I would add 12 Monkeys to that list, In The Heat Of The Night.
Theo

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The New Kubrick Collection (all of Kubrick's movies are brilliant and thought provoking)
Reservoir Dogs (SE is coming next year)
Brazil: Criterion Collection
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Suspiria
Fight Club (which is by far, my most watched DVD)
Rushmore
Pee Wee's Big Adventure (ok... that may be pushing it
wink.gif
)
But those are my favorite intelligent movies and it is just my opinion... mileage may vary
biggrin.gif

enjoy
-----------------
Robert Lutter
[Edited last by RobLutter on September 29, 2001 at 08:06 PM]

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
"The Boondock Saints", previously only available on DVD as a Canadian import, but Fox is releasing it in the US before the end of the year.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
are we recommending movies? if so, there's one that i love to recommend that most people don't know about. it's called Link Removed
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Dave, good call on Once Were Warriors and Aguirre. Try The Ninth Configuration, written and directed by William Peter Blatty (of The Exorist fame) - it's not a horror flick, BTW. Great movie!
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

I will eventually get most of Tarantino, Kubrick and Scorsese films and will definitely check out some of the lesser known films you guys suggested. I never saw Fight Club because reviews were mostly polarized, but now that I think of it, it will be my next DVD for this very same reason. Keep em coming.
Thanks

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Fight Club is an odd movie. The first time I watched it I thought the ending was a bit rubbish but the second time (you do have to watch it twice) it was good. It gets better each time you watch it.
Ted, I hope you were being ironic about Shallow Grave. :) That's a fantastically well-known movie...Well this side of the Atlantic anyhow. Personally I just found it too grim but it's well made and no mistake!
Theo

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
If you liked Pulp Fiction, check out Go. Similar silly narative structure. :)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
In high school I saw Shallow Grave and the rerelease of Pulp Fiction on a double bill at the local cinema. It was a very good night.
jeremy

Brian_J

Second Unit
Excellent recommendations above. Also:
Usual Suspects
Shawshank Redemption
Ravenous
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I really liked Shallow Grave even though it was so darn grim. I dunno, I think that might have been why I liked it.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Ted, I hope you were being ironic about Shallow Grave
lol...actually i was being serious but i should have known better than to say that when posting here.
i forget that this audience is much more avante-garde! my bad...i guess i'm just used to dealing with my "normal" friends...wait...that made it sound like we're not normal...ugh...i'm stopping before i put my foot any deeper in my mouth!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks