Recommendations for floor-standing speakers in the $1500-$2000 range for Hi-Rez music

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Robert Burkes, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi, guys!

So...I have a system comprised of Definitive Tech ProMonitor 200's (mains) and ProMonitor 100's (surrounds) with a ProCenter 200. I just added a Denon 3910 to my component list, and I've been doing a lot of critical listening to SACD's and DVD-A's.

I'm noticing that my mains don't sound alike at all. Vocals are always rooted to the left or right, depending on which speaker I have at which location. First, I thought I had more hearing loss in my right than my left ear, because all the music I was listening to sounded as though it was rooted in the left (specifically vocals). After trying clean out my ears for a week (lol), I switched the speakers around. Vocals firmly planted in the right. No matter how I adjust the channel levels or speaker distance, I cannot correct this. Now...the inevitable: a new speaker purchase. It's funny how once you start upgrading equipment, you need to upgrade it all, eh?

So...the question: Can you guys recommend some floor-standing speaker models in the $1500-$2000 (per pair) range for me to look into? This is the beginning step for me, so I'm just looking for a place to start researching. I've checked into some B&W's, but so far, that's all I've looked at. I believe they were the 704's...? Any thoughts? Please just point me in several directions. I haven't read anything about speakers in years. Now, I'm starting from scratch. Thanks for any help!

Rob

2. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

I assume you have checked that you have the phase correct on all the speakers, right? Avia has a test for phase, and you could try switching the speaker leads just to see if that changes anything. Just trying to save you 2 grand... [​IMG]

3. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Have you checked to see if any of the drivers are not playing? A friend of mine fried a tweeter in one of his mains and did not notice it right away. When I sat down and listened to his system for the first time, I noticed it immediately. The room seemed to be drawn to the left, and a quick check showed that the tweeter on the right speaker was gone.

5. Marc LaPalme

Marc LaPalme Agent

yeah actually i had the same thing happen to me.

i blew a tweeter and brought them into a shop to order and replace both tweeters (yeah... could have done it myself. whatever.)

so. while they were away getting fixed i bought a new harmon/kardon. got the speakers, they sounded great.

HOWEVER! after about 2 years i had the same problem as you, noticed one side playing louder. thought i was crazy and either the recording was done like that or that my room was messing with the reflections alot.

after awhile i decided to take them appart and voila. one of the woofers was wired out of phase.

i now have a brand new hometheater system!

i would take those betsies appart and see what is actualy going on.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Well, Revel (a noted audiophile brand) has a new line of lower priced tower speakers, a bookshelf type, and center channel (if you don't want matching towers everywhere) in your price range (not all together, of course). The Concerta Series.

F12- 3 way towers
    M12- Bookshelves
    C12- 3 way center channel

I won't mention the surrounds as you want audiophile quality and I don't recommend dipole or bipole speakers since they color the sound and most audio labels don't use them in their mixing booths for surround sound.

There are many subs to choose from besides Revels, and the sub doesn't have to match. You want clean, tight, musical sound with great extension.

Revel Loudspeakers

7. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

Im a fan of JM Labs speakers. You could prob get some mains from the Cobalt or Chorus line or if your lucky you could find some Electra's in your price range on audiogon(usually in the 1500-2000 range they are book shelves though).

Sonus faber has some amazing little bookshevles for this price too. You might be able to get a used tower off of audiogon though. The Sonus faber is very simular sonicly to the JM Lab speakers and they use the same set of JM Lab drivers.

B&W has some nice speakers also im this price range.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.gr-research.com A/V-3s are a very musical, solid performing speaker in that price range. I have 3 A/V-2s as my mains in my HT and another pair in my bedroom and I love them. They have great customer service too, for a small company.

The Rocket RS750 Signature might be worth a look too.

9. Brandon^B

Brandon^B Auditioning

There are SOOO many nice speakers in that price range, and a lot of them have been mentioned. Might I add to the list Swan Diva 6.1's, Vandersteen 2CE Signature, Monitor Audio Silver Series, and Paradigm Studio 60. Enjoy your search and above all, audition, audition, audition!

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

One of Def Tech BP 10s had a misswired bass driver,[it was essentially a quasy dipole speaker]and it not only lacked bass because of that but had imaging problems just like you described.The vocals were wandering all over the place for instance,and created a bit brighter tonal balance then it should had.This speaker passed QC by DT like that.[​IMG]
    Anyway if yours are wired correctly and no blown drivers, then I would suggest Magnepan 1.6QR for $1699 msrp.Simply the best speaker I've heard anywhere near at that price range.

11. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

As others have stated, there are a lot of good speakers in the price range you mention. The best ones I ever heard were made by EFE, so that is what I ended up getting. In fact, I got two sets: a 5 speaker system for my HT and a 2 speaker system for my living room.

While EFE is located in Arizona and only sells by word of mouth, they will tell you if anyone in your area has them and will let you demo them. You can find a fair amount of info on them, and their contact info, by searching on this threat and on avsforum.com

12. Gavin_mi

Gavin_mi Stunt Coordinator

which DVD-A where you watching/listening to? I have the eagles on DVD-A and during some songs it sounds like its coming from the right side because the person doing the vocals in that particular song is on the right side of the stage. just another thought...DT speakers are generally really nice.

Gavin

13. Robert Burkes

Well, guys... My speaker began distorting, so I bit the bullet. I am now the proud owner of a pair of Onix Reference 2's and a Reference 100 center. I feel like a schoolboy in love for the first time. I'm melting in the audio goodness. ...And god...these speakers look sexy. I got them in the Piano Black finish, and they compliment the decor of my room perfectly! Now I just have to figure out what to use for surrounds. I'm tempted to order another pair of 2's for surrounds. They are such a great price right now. $1699/pr! Originally $2500! I feel like a thief. [​IMG] Thanks for all your help, everyone! You guys are great!

Rob

14. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Congrats, Rob. I'm very tempted to get those (or the ref1s) myself, but my house is running out of space to put speakers [​IMG] I guess that just means I need a bigger house [​IMG]

Do let us know what you think of them.

As for surrounds, the Ref1s would do nicely. But they're pretty close to the price of the Ref2s, when you buy them new. Perhaps used, they should come in below $1K.

The rosewood finishes should be cheaper if you can deal with the non-matching with your REF2s. Some guy's trying to sell a pair of slightly used REF1s for $500. I wish I had the money/room for that. They'd be really sweet....but with the deal for a pair of Ref1s and the SP3 tube for $1K (separately, they're $1200 for the speakers and $1000 for the tube), the decision becomes all that more difficult.

15. Robert Burkes

Man...tell me about it. I'm itching to order that combo. Would be great for a bedroom system. Reason says, "NO!" but the little green monster on my shoulder is whispering, "yessssssssssss...."

16. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I would have suggested Klipch. Great sounding speakers in the 1k-2k price range.

17. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Yea, it's hard to shut that monster up sometimes [​IMG]