Recommendations for DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Harwood, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

Mar 15, 2002
    I've been reading and researching for quite a while here, and I'm getting closer to finishing my basement home theater setup (which I started blindly without even knowing this site existed). In most respects, I think I've done pretty well with my selections. The one component still missing from my mix is the DVD player. I'm looking for a recommendation.
    Some of my requirements are:
    1) optical TosLink output
    2) short size (I have a narrow opening in my built-in shelves for the player--if I can get one less than 3" tall, it would really work well)
    3) Single disk
    4) Under $250
    Is this too tall an order? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Here's my setup:
    Monitor: Hitachi 52" RPTV (Not HD)
    Receiver/Amp:Sony STR-DE675
    Mains: BIC Muro M-60 in-wall
    Surrounds:BIC Muro M-SR6 in-ceiling
    Subwoofer:JBL PB12 Subwoofer
    Center: Polk CS245
    CD PlayerSony CDP-CX400 400 Disc Changer
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Jan 7, 2002
    I just bought the Pioneer DV-440 for 180.00 from crutchfeild. Its only 2 1/4 inches tall, which makes one of the slimest players out there. It also plays MP3's and VCD's. Ive only watched two movies on it so far, but I like it.
    SEE IT HERE: Pioneer DV-440
  3. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Mar 3, 2002
    It's the Sony NS500v. I have had one for about 6 weeks and it is working great for me. It fits all of your requirements. It is under 3" tall (just barely), has one optical and one coax digital out, and is a single disk player. As a bonus, it has SACD capability. The Sony website I linked to is selling it for $230, but you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. It was selling for $300 just a few weeks ago.
    It is NOT progressive scan, but if that doesn't interest you then this may be the player for you. I have heard that Sony is coming out with a new player that is similar to the 500v but is also progressive, so if you want that you can wait for it.
    Oh, and if you order this player you get a coupon for 5 free DVDs - no strings attached. They are Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The 6th Day, Random Hearts, Fools Rush In, and Vertical Limit.
    I should get a commission.