Recommendations for DVD Player with Best Interlaced Quality (non-prog scan)?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jason8, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

Is there a great difference in video interlaced (I think this is the right term for non-progressive scan output) output among DVD players? I am pondering the upgrade of my DVD player (Pioneer DV-440), but am not sure if it is worth it or not. Several months ago, I got the $99 Sony DVD player at Bestbuy, but did not notice any difference so I returned it. I use component video jacks. I bought my Pioneer DV-440 for $150 nearly two years ago. I don’t have an HDTV, and don’t plan on getting one within the next 2-3 years, so top-notch Progressive Scan performance is not necessary. My TV is a 27” sony wega.

So what I am looking for is recommendations of DVD players with top-notch interlaced video quality and audio quality. From what I understand, audio quality from DVD movies is dependent on your Receiver’s decoding and not the DACs on the DVD player, correct?

I know the Pioneer DV-563A is a current fave here, but I don’t own any SACD or DVD-audio discs, and DVD playback does not seem to be its forte.

The only DVD player I am considering at the moment is the Harman Kardon DVD-25 for $230 shipped at Jandr.

I still can't post links here yet, so, Audioreview of Pioneer DV-440 is 4.44 rating (72 reviews). Audioreview rating of HK DVD-25 is 4.74 rating (11 reviews).

2. James_SCEA

James_SCEA Agent

I would recommend a discontinued Sony dvd player. Either the DVP7000 or the DVP7700 all got excellent marks. If you could find one for a good deal - they originally sold for about $1000. They have a full copper chassis.

JC[​IMG]

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Panasonic RP91. One of the best interlaced players out there and chroma bug free. It will be able to do progressive if you upgrade to an HDTV in the future and it is extremely tweakable.

4. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

Is there anyplace that still sells the Panasonic RP91? I found it refurbished at ecost for $380, which is abit expensive. I was looking for $200-250 range. I stopped by the local Tweeter and checked out the Denon players and they all seemed cheap lightweights (910, 2200), except the 3800 which they had on clearance for $498. The only other one I say was a Mitsubishi dd8040 with faroudja dcdi for $225 after rebate, but it too seemed lightweight and plastic.

Is there anyplace that still sells Denon DVD 1600?
    Anybody who has the Harman Kardon DVD 25?

If I have to spend close to $400 for a progressive scan player, when I won't even be using progressive scan, then I'd rather put the money towards something else.

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

6. Iver

Iver Second Unit

With a 27-inch monitor, you will probably not get an appreciable quality difference from one player to the next.

What you said about audio is correct. It's only if you use the analog output from the player that the audio quality will depend on the player's DAC's. If you have a good receiver, make the digital connection and you'll be set.

I use a Panasonic DVD-RV30, also with a 27-inch Sony, and the picture quality pushes the performance limits of the screen itself. Panasonic seems to have shaved a bit off the weight of their DVD players since the RV30 (a 2000 model), but their entry-level player compares favorably to other models in its price range.

The entry-level Panny DVD player now goes for about $100.

Based on what you're looking for, I would just say don't spend over $100 and don't spend less than $80 (list prices, that is).

7. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yeah you won't get anything worthwhile spending more on an old 27" analog set. I'd say just stick with the DVD player you've got unless it dies or until you upgrade to an HDTV display - save money for a display upgrade where you will notice an improvement! By then I'm sure better DVD player designs will be even cheaper.

8. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

THanks for the advice everyone!

Crutchfield has the Panasonic RP91 for $299 shipped, or $255 scratch-and-dented. They have a good return policy, so I was thinking about trying er out. But my TV only cost $450, so it makes little practical sense.

Is there a Chroma Bug test, or a movie scene that can idenify whether your DVD player has it or not? I think mine has it, I was just watching Finding Nemo, but I'm not sure.

9. PeterG

PeterG Agent

Another alternative for an excellent interlaced DVD player is the Panasonic RV-80. Several reviews around on it. It dates back probably to 2001 or perhaps 2000 and was always seen here and at AVS forum as a highly capable interlaced player. I bought this player in order to match it with my Iscan Pro line doubler.

Peter

10. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

I have a 32" Sony Wega non high def and I can see a big difference in video pq between different players in 480i. I have a Panny 91 and plan to get another one to hold me over until I get a high def set.

11. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

Hey Sean,

how long have you owned your panny rp91? I have read too many threads of people reporting it breaking down after two years. How is the build quality? thanks.

12. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Jason, My Panny 91 has been in use for about 1 1/2 years. Build quality seems fine to me but all these postings of premature breakdown are scaring me also. The build quality seems above average over all the 500$ and under players that I have put through the paces.

13. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

Yes but I think you have to take all the negative reviews with a grain of salt tho, as it is generally the ones having problems who bother posting on 'boards like these...hmm, I'm tempted to try out the panasonic RP91, given Crutchfield's no hassle return policy. They also have the Denon DVD-1600 on scratch and dent for $280. Wondering how the build quality is, compared to the panny rp91?