What's new

Recommendations for Colours (or Colors for you south of the border types) (1 Viewer)

FrancisD

Auditioning
I'm getting down to the last details of my dedicated HT (front projection) room, and I'm not sure what to do with the ceiling. The walls are a dark navy blue (flat) and I was originally going to paint the ceiling the same colour, but I've been thinking that it might be a bit oppressive and make the room feel 'shorter'.
Essentially I'm trying to cut down on reflections as much as possible, but I also don't want the room to have too much of a dank dungeon feel (it is a very small room, 12X14).
What I had been thinking was using the same sand/cream colour that I'm using for the crown and baseboard mouldings for the ceiling, but will that show too much reflection??

If someone has some experience with this I'd appreciate some feedback.

thanks!

PS - misty evening screen = AWESOME!

Francis.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Personally I'd stick with the blue. The main function of a theatre room is to work well while its in use, right? I'd be upset if I went to all the trouble of building a dedicated room and had a problem with reflection, or with a very obvious (and maybe distracting) rectangle floating over my head.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I too went dark: deep cranberry red and blue/black walls. On the ceiling I went with dark grey...I'd recommend a dark but complementary color for your ceiling...for a different color give you a sense of heigth and space. It's all in one's design and wishes...I for one wanted our theater to have a certain appeal with lights on and off...find out what your needs/design elements are and then have fun! :D

As long as you use a flat or non-gloss paint, light reflections will not be a problem.

E

FrancisD

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback folks. I was talking to my wife about it yesterday and she suggested I paint the ceiling the same blue, lol. I thought that was rather ironic since I was looking at a lighter colour for her sake. Ahhh, reverse psychology works!
So now the ceiling is blue, and I have to say that I like it that way. The blue is a nice warm colour with the lights on, and fades to black with them down.
Looks like I'm on target for a friday night opening, just have the trim and crown mouldings to do, carpet, and some wiring.

wayne lacina

Auditioning
Hi,
I read somewhere, and have done this to my home theater.
It was suggested that the color should be a neutral gray
to avoid tinting the screen picture. It was suggested that one should go to a camera supply store and pick up a
photo grey card. The one that photogs use to calibrate their meters. I believe it is a 30% neutral. I took the
card to Home Depot and had them computer match the color in an eggshell (slight, slight sheen) and painted all the walls and ceiling. I thought that it would look really depressing but it actually looks pleasing. Even my wife, the interior decorator, thinks it looks good;rich,warm and pleasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks