recommendations for classical music w/organs for my SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gomez_a, Mar 18, 2002.

1. gomez_a

gomez_a Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to classical music and I really like the sound of organs on my SVS.
    I guess I'm looking for CD's of symphonic music accompanied w/organs. An excellent ex of this is Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ" in C minor w/Eugene Ormandy and Michael Murray (Telarc, cat# 80051). I'm not crazy about organs playing by themselves though . .
    Can some one please recommend some CD's (label and cat # if possible).
    I have to say, the SVS is giving some appreciation for the music side of things
    [​IMG]

2. SanfordL

SanfordL Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Tchaikovsky's (please don't crucify me if I spelled that wrong) 1812 Overture (ever watch Appocolypse Now? It's what they are cranking flying over the water, "to scare the locals.") Go for a version that has been recorded using real cannons. It goes down to between 10 & 8 hzs (sure, your neigbors will love you,) and will dessimate most speakers and or subs if played loud enough. Just don't crank it though, because even if you have the 16-46, I imagine that the cannon might bottom out your sub, causing you tears.[​IMG] Then again, I am still waiting on my 16-46 PCi, which will move sometime this or next month, so don't quote me about it wrecking the sub. Hey, it's deep, it's good, and you don't have to put up the pipe organ either.
    You might consider talking to a Church organist too (make sure the Church has the full set of pipes, or else you might get a biased opinion) as folks that play instruments typically have a good impression of what arraingments sound good played by them.
    Good luck.

3. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    You spelled Tchaikovsky perfectly, Sanford. However, that ISN'T the music they play in "Apocalypse Now." It isn't even the music they play in "Apocalypse Now Redux." [​IMG]
    The "AN" music is Wagner's "The Ride of the Walkyries" from "Die Walkure."
    You DID describe the "1812 Overture" accurately. You're definitely thinking about the right piece and you're correct to recommend this as a real wall-shaker.
    Another classic woofer organ piece is the Toccata from Widor's Organ Symphony No. 5. Yes, it IS solo organ. But it's a terrific composition.

4. SanfordL

SanfordL Stunt Coordinator

Oh [email protected] Bob, now I think I should have left in the part about ("in case I am citing the incorrect composer too"...) :b

Ah well, I do think the best recommendations are going to come from Pipe Organists, which Bob might just be.

5. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

What about Czajkowki... (I am missing some cyrilic here :)

Try some of Bach - Soante and Fugue in D Minor.

_zjt

6. Ken Hoyme

Ken Hoyme Extra

A thread like this was over at HTS forum. Let me weigh in with a bit more detail here. I am an avid organ fan, but I can't really call myself an organist. I took lessons for many years as a youngster, but gave it up in college for engineering. I have served on two organ committee's at church's buying a new pipe organ (one as coordinator of a dedication concert series, and the other as committee chair -- that last one was dedicated just about a year ago). I have also served as a church choir director for 10 years. Finally, in a collection of over 700 CDs, nearly 100 of them are organ music. All that said, here are a few pointers.
    First, I would highly recommend that you poke through the web site at www.pipedreams.org. Pipedreams is a nationally sydicated radio program dedicated to the pipe organ, hosted by Michael Barone, from Minnesota Public Radio. Specifically, he has a page on that site for recommended music and specific recordings. The URL is
    http://www.pipedreams.org/articles/picks.shtml
    Check out the secion titled "SOME ESSENTIAL MISCELLANIES" for some of the more bombasitc selections.
    Basically, when a composer writes for organ and orchestra, they tend to go all out. In addition to the Saint-Saens, there is Joeseph Jongen's Symphonie Concertante, Marcel Dupre's Symphony in G minor for Organ and Orchestra (Opus 25), Josef Rheinberger's Organ Concert No. 1 in F Major (Opus 137), and Fracis Polenc's Organ Concerto.
    I have almost all of these pieces recorded by Michael Murray on Telarc (several discs), but Michael Barone has other recommendations on the aforementioned page.
    Some other bombastic organ-alone pieces (besides the classic Widor Tocatta, already mentioned, and the Bach Tocatta and Fugue in d minor (mentioned on HTS)) are the following:
    Franz Lizst - Prelude and Fugue on B.A.C.H.
    Eugene Gigout - Grand choeue dialouge
    Jehan Alain - Litanies
    Maurice Durufle - Prelude, Adagio and Chorale variations on the theme "Veni Creator"
    Look for CDs with organ, brass and percussion.
    Search for the Organ Fireworks series on Gothic records (http://store.yahoo.com/gothic/orfirser.html)
    Yum!
    Yum!
    Enjoy,
    Ken

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Jean Gileau(?sp) playing Pictures at an Exhibition on a Dorian CD has 16 Hz notes.

8. gomez_a

you crazy, crazy, guys!!! - this will keep me and the SVS (16-46PC w/new and improved driver) busy for a long time.
    [​IMG]
    I'll check out some of the solo organ works, but by far, I like the stuff as in Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ" in C minor
    Thanks for the info, and send more if you come up w/more ideas [​IMG]

9. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

See if you can find 'The Power and the Glory'on M&K Realtime Recordings (direct to disk). Recorded at the First Congregational Church in LA, it features 16Hz fundamentals. I dont know if these were ever reproduced on CD, but the analogs will loosen your bowels. Solo organ again, by various composers. Also, Ceremonial Music for Trumpet & Symphonic Organ. Micheal Murry (on organ, of course)performing works by Marc-Antoine Charpentier, Henry Purcell and Jean-Joseph Mouret. It is available on CD. I know Amazon has it. Excellent brass work, too.

10. gomez_a

cool, more stuff to check out[​IMG]

11. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Great thread guys..

Any more favorites folks like??

-- John

12. gomez_a

yeah . . . BTTT[​IMG]

13. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    "Pomp & Pipes" has always been my standard demo CD. This is an exceptional recording and there are a few decent performances on the disc. For subwoofer testing, check out track 4 and the last 3 minutes of track 9.

14. gomez_a

Than you greg[​IMG]