Recommendations for cheap HT speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Stephen Gladwin, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Stephen Gladwin

Stephen Gladwin Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm going to be upgrading my HT with 2 new JBL E10s, used as surrounds. Now I've heard that speaker wire is perhaps the most overly-hyped wiring in the HT setup, and that you really don't need to go nuts spending huge amounts on wowie-zowie wire, b/c the human ear can't really tell the difference between these super brands and cheap lamp cord wire. This is GOOD[​IMG] since I don't have a lot to spend on speaker wire anyway! SO, does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, reliable speaker wire? Thanks!

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Try Home Depot's 12 gauge spkr wire at 50 cents a foot. I use them and some HTF members here.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Any wire of the same material and gauge will work equally well sound wise. You will pay more for wire that looks nicer, and stranded wire is easier to work with than solid wire.

Most videophiles recommend 12 gauge copper wire for speakers. Maybe 14 gauge if the run is short, IMHO less than 30 feet.

Finely stranded wire is the least stiff but you need to be careful that strands don't short circuit to the next screw terminal.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm