Recommendations for CD-R blank media? TDK? Sony?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hope I can put this here – none of our Forum’s guidelines seem to quite fit...

I’m looking at some blank TDK CD-R Music discs on eBay (for hi-fi component CD recorders) and was wondering if anyone has used them, and if so what your impressions were. Also looking at some Sony CD-R data discs. Any thoughts on those? The former will be used on a Pioneer PD-505 CD recorder in my HT system, the latter on a Yamaha CD burner in my computer.

Any other brands recommended for both data and music CD-Rs appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The discs are the same for data and music, but the quality of the discs can vary. I've most of the name brands, and some no-name ones, and they all seem to work fine. I am currently using the black Memorex 80min discs for both music and data and I like them the best so far, and they are pretty inexpensive by the spindle.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sorry, forgot to mention that about the stand alone components...since I have two burners are both in PCs, and it didn't cross my mind to mention it. You don't think they did this to enhance profits or anything do you? [​IMG] I mean, there are fewer manufacturers of "music" CDRs than generic and data CDRs, and most of those are the big names. I also read that the dics labelled music also kick back a percentage to the major record labels.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

FWIW, my Pio 509 is finicky as hell WRT discs.

When I first bought the deck about two years ago, I started out with Memorex, and had nothing but grief. It would finalize the disc OK, but when you play it, there were some tracks that were fine, others would play with what sounded like static. It was weird as hell.

In any event, I am currently using TDK, and those work great (although even with TDK you get an occaional bad disc). As always, YMMV. Seems like other are OK with Memorex at the present time.

FWIW, when I first had the problems, I called pioneer tech support, and their guy, without prompting, asked me if I was using Memorex media (after I described what was happening). He said he was getting a lot of calls at the time, and virtually every caller was using Memorex. Of course, that was a couple years back.

BGL

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

7. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Mitsui, or Mistui Gold. The best there is. Pack of 50 will run $30-35. Much better, both sonically (flame suit on) and durability wise than TDK, Sony, Memorex etc. And don't forget the 200 pack of Tyvek sleeves.

8. JamesKirk

JamesKirk Auditioning

I've used Verbatim for 3 years now for CD-Rs and they are great. Never scratched one beyond playability, unless intentional (ie bad burn or unneeded disk). I just bought a spindle of 100 52xs without cases for $22 at Sam's club. I usually buy with cases, but that was a deal [​IMG]

9. Robert AG

Robert AG Stunt Coordinator

>>Mitsui, or Mistui Gold. The best there is. Pack of 50 will run $30-35. Much better, both sonically (flame suit on) and durability wise than TDK, Sony, Memorex etc.

10. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Wayne -

Over the past few years, I've been using Sony, TDK and Imation CD-Rs with excellent results -- no problems with duds (unless the power goes off mid-session) :>) and they play back just fine in my car CD deck, portable CD Walkperson, home component CD players, DVD players and PC CD-ROM and DVD+RW drives.

I've tried one pack of "no name" discs, and about 1 out of 3 became coasters. Also, I won't ever buy any more with the "Verbatim" name (same "quality" as "no name" discs in my experience with my CD recorders).

My CD-Rs wouldn't play in a Sony DVPS 9000 SACD/DVD player when we had the local meet at Jason Watson's last year (you were there) but that player apparently won't play ANY CD-Rs. If a player's manufacturer says that model won't handle CD-Rs, it probably won't like any of these major brands. (Ironically the Pioneer DV-563A, which costs about 1/10 what the Sony did, will play just about any home-burned disc.)

For players that are compatible, the cost of major name blanks has dropped so low per disc, that I'd rather have their track record of reliability than suffer the inconvenience of not knowing whether a blank was going to "make" or not.

Given that some folks have had acceptable results on their equipment with brands (or "no brands") that were less successful on mine, the bottom line is -- try a few discs of a brand you can get conveniently and cheaply before you stock up in bulk.

Good luck -

11. gregD

gregD Second Unit

The only blanks I've had regularly fail on me are Memorex and Maxell.

TDK, Imation, Fuji all work fine on the desktop (Mac G4).

Fuji has been perfect on the CD recorder (Pioneer 609).

Given the mixed responses, it seems each user needs to go through some trial and error to find a reliable brand, before buying in bulk for the savings.

12. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I tried them all... Verbatim for me.

Consistant quality.

13. Michael Were

Michael Were Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend Taiyo Yuden cdrs they are the company that makes all the cdrs that come from Japan (I bought their "generic" unbranded cdrs). I never get coasters (Mac on OSX) and can burn at any speed. On this and other forums, I have read that the japanese cdrs are better than the ones from Korea (take that for what it's worth). You can tell the japanese discs because the inner part is cloudy not clear. All I know is that I am happy with the mix discs I've burnt.

I would recommend buying through American Digital

http://www.american-digital.com/prod...&c=18&name=Tai

as I have had a great experience with them. When I had to wait an extra day until their inventory was replenished they sent me a personal typed email explaining the situation and still the shipping was faster (to my quiet redneck town) than most other things I order online.

Michael

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wow, thanks everyone for all the responses!

Thanks for the info on the TDKs, Brian – especially helpful since we both have the Pioneer 509. I imagine the Fuji discs Greg is using in his 609 should work fine on the 509.

Interesting note on how to identify the Japanese vs. Korean CDRs, Michael. I looked at a few I have laying around here and found that the Maxell’s music CDRs are Japanese, but their data CDRs are Korean. How d’ya like that? [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt