Recommendations for Cassette Deck

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by kumar, Dec 4, 2003.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

I am planning to buy a Dual Cassette Tape Deck. I still have lot of Cassettes and hopefully one day I will convert them to CDs. But there is always a untill then...... right?
    So here is the deal.. I am planning to spend between 150-250(max) on a Dual Cassette Deck.
    What are the good ones in that range?
    What should I look for?
    Should I buy into Dolby S ? Because few of the cassettes I have are not so good recordings and causes hisses and distortion when playedback. Would Dolby S help or is it enough with B and C and HXPro.....

Thanks
    Kumar

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Go to onecall.com and search on cassette decks. They have decent prices (probably can get lower price when calling) and a pretty good selection. The Onkyo and Yamaha kind of jumped out at me.

You may be able to find an older machine at a pawn shop for a great deal. I'd try that first.

3. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Does Dolby S and HXPRO that great a deal? Should I buy into that?

4. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Dolby S will help at all if the original cassettes were not recorded with Dolby S.

Ron

5. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

So Dolby B, C, and S are not for playback from "any" cassettes?

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've quit making cassettes but I used the bleeding things for a long time. I think HXPro works well preserving the highs, the tapes have to be recorded with it. It's subtle but I thoght it an improvement. Commercial tapes were done with Dolby 'B' only by the majors as far as I know. Dolby 'S' would only benefit on new records. I never had 'S' and thusly have no opinion. Dolby 'B' & 'C' are the must haves. Most tapes you'd archieve would surely use them. I think Sony pushed Dolby 'S' right as intrest in the format really waned.

I would advise to look beyond double decks. I'd look for a single well with a better tape mechanism. Dual Capstans usually mean lower wow and flutter. 3 heads is usually better than 2. Having seperate record, playback, and erase heads is better. You can monitor while recording or even add outboard echo chambers if you have a 3-head deck.

Good luck finding a quality deck. I'm not sure who makes 'em now??? Sony, Teac,...?

7. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

I've had a Denon DRW-585 for about 4 years and I have to admit I don't use it very much at all I have been pretty pleased with it when I have. It's got dolby B,C and HX Pro, music search and a bias adjustment. I think I've seen them recently for about $200.00. I'd recomend it unless of course you can find a used Nakamichi Dragon somewhere.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The older B/C are just HF rolloffs, if it's not recorded with the inverse boost, you'll be wiping out a lot of highs along with the hiss, instead of just wiping out the hiss and restoring the highs to their original level. This is very much similar to RIAA EQ for records(except only affects highs if i recall?)

Regardless, comes on pretty much everything, just get a quality deck if you do a lot of listening to it.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dolby "S" is fantastic, but it's only worth getting if you are going to be recording a lot of new cassettes. If you're only playing back existing tapes it won't do anything for you.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I agree with Rachel, double decks were almost all crap. Even the best of them couldn’t compare to a good single-well 2-head deck, and any 3-head deck would simply blow them out of the water. Back when I did a lot of tape duping I had two 3-head decks, and the loss between duplications was only barely audible.

Dusting off my “old tech” hat for the following – hopefully it’s reasonably accurate.

11. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I would highly recommend the Pioneer Elite CT05D and Ct07D.
    I have the 05 and it is impressive to me.
    They have DPS procesing. "This technology converts all signals to digital to ensure complete accuracy of the internal processing, which is accomplished by use of highly accurate 20-bit A/D-D/A converters. Once in the digital domain, Digital Noise Reduction suppresses tape hiss noise so successfully that it helps the Elite cassette players achieve a signal-to-noise ratio comparable to digital equipment, even to the order of 90 dB!" AND then it can restore the lost high frequences through what they call FLEX You can turn any of these off or on. Sometimes FLEX makes your tapes sound a little too bright, but these decks can dramatically reduce hiss.
    It works!
    The 07D even has a digial input!

Here is some info on the CT05. It looks like they have discontinued the 07 but I'm sure you could still find it.

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/pr...etailComponent

They also make a non-Elite version, the 606 for a little less money.

Anyway, I've been impressed.