recommendations for audio software???

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KevinW, Aug 12, 2003.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I want to start ripping audio cd's to the hard drive and thought I'd ask what you guys are using. I have Musicmatch that came pre-installed, and also the SBLive card came with some software.

Any recommendations?

p.s. I also need an audio recording program that I can use to record music from old cassettes and video tapes.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

CDEX

3. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

I use EAC for ripping...it's highly recommended.

4. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

EAC is the only way that I know of to get the audio off without having it ruined by the sound card; data to data. check mp3.radified.com mp3.radified.com for a guide on using it, and the Lame encoder.
    www.chrismyden.com has another great guide, and is referenced in radified's guide.

And, EAC will work until it gets every bit right.

Plus, they're all FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! Fully Freeware!

For recording other sources, Cool Edit has a demo version. The full version is $70 to buy, and with a $49 plug-in, becomes a 4 track recording machine. I don't know if Sound Forge (a similar product) has a demo version to check out, but it, and Wavelab, are also great products. There are plugins to tweak noise levels, eq, level, any audio trick you can think of. Pop and click reduction from vinyl, etc.

Let us know how it goes!

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

More EAC info:

http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm

Great program. Not to badmouth CDEX, but EAC is pretty much guaranteed to get it right with no pops, clicks etc once you get it set up.

Can be slower, though, but I prefer slow and accurate over faster and less accurate.

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I use EAC also. Works perfectly.

7. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Exact Audio Copy aka EAC which is at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ . I have used many Cd Rippers but EAC is, IMO, the best cd ripper that I have ever seen.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I never used EAC- although CDEX has a nice error checking engine which you can adjust to be as critical as you'd like-- and it will flag bad rips so you know it wasn't 100% perfect.

-Vince