Recommendations for an "Opening Night" film in my new Home Theatre room

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Crosley Carpenter, May 27, 2003.

1. Crosley Carpenter

Crosley Carpenter
    The "Opening Night" of our new Home Theatre room is Saturday June 21.

I have been looking for an appropriate DVD as the "premiere attraction". It needs to be:
    * a fairly recent release
    * suitable for a general ( it's immediate family of my wife and I, all adults )audience, with not too much language/violence/sex.
    * something that shows off the capabilities of the front projection / 6.1 system.
    * entertaining

I would appreciate any suggestions members might have. The genre is not important. If you asked me 2 months ago, My Big Fat Greek Wedding would have been mostly ideal, Chicago would be perfect if it was released.

Is there something out there at the moment that would do a similar job ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Although it doesn't have the most dynamic surround sound, Catch Me If You Can fits all your categories.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Moulin Rouge probably would be fine. Most of the innuendos will go over the tyke's heads anyways.

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

6.1 Hmmm... difficult to find something there that isn't somewhat violent or has sex in it.

Die Another Day, (the new Bond flick) is probably going to fill the bill, and it's DTS. It's highly recommended and out June 3rd.

If not, then I'm thinking LOTR (Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, Directors Cut in DTS) is still your best bet.

Gladiator is another idea.

Star Wars II - Attack of the Clones (5.1) is a third option.

Others are of course Goldmember (Sexual Connotations), Saving Private Ryan (violent and not all that new a release).

Those should fit.
    [​IMG]

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    What about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?
    I would say it fits all of your criteria.

6. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Moulin Rouge would be a great way to open...especially the way it begins with the famous 20th Century Fox Fanfare blasting away.

As a film, it has a little of something for everyone. And as a bonus, has super video and audio quality.

Let us know what you decide. Look forward to hearing how it all turns out. [​IMG]

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Here's another recommendation for Moulin Rouge, even though it's a "love it or hate it" film.

8. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

Lord of the Rings (although a bit violent) or Chicken Run

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Moulin Rouge or LOTR Fellowship Of The Ring Extended edition. surefire crowd pleasers.

10. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. I'd say Monster's Inc. would be great. Amazing picture, great sound, and extremely entertaining. I also second Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Great fun for the whole family, and a great home theatre demo piece.

AJG

11. Mark Basile

Mark Basile Stunt Coordinator

For those who havent seen it, I always use "The Mask of Zorro" in DTS. It's a great action/romance flick with an excellent transfer and surround sound. Not overly long, either.

My second choice (if they've seen Mask of Zorro) is Space Cowboys. Good action/comedy, again with an exceptional transfer and sound.

These are the movies I choose to demo my system to people. The film, in the end, means more than whiz-bang sound effects, and first-timers enjoy it a lot more if the film is both steady-paced and enjoyable. The killer picture and digital sound is icing on the cake.

By the way, both of these movies decode perfectly into 6.1 sound with no rear speaker collapses.

12. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

E.T.!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

If animation is an option (it will show off the projector) I second monster's inc and recommend ice age (though it's 5.1). Also think Harry Potter is a good idea.

14. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I would have to say rush hour 2. action, funny, good use of 6.1 dts-es. highly entertaining.

The 5th element super bit (though it may be a bit graphic)

If you are looking for animation than I recomend any of the pixar DVDS. Toy story 1 and 2 for sure.

15. Crosley Carpenter

Crosley Carpenter
    Our "Opening Night" finally took place on Saturday July 26, 5 weeks after planned date, due to some projector "issues" now resolved.

Thanks to everyone who thought about my question and suggested a title, your recommendations were appreciated. In the end, we went with My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It by no means showed off the system, but I felt it would be the most appropriate film for my family audience, more so than an action/effects film would have been. ( didn't think the older members of the audience would have appreciated an aural assault for 2 hours )

Overall it was a very successful evening, we really felt like we were at the movies. The 10 of us had finger food and drinks pre-show, then after a brief "ribbon cutting" ceremony, took our "reserved seats" in the home theatre armed with Popcorn, soft drinks, candy and specially made ice creams ( "Choc Tops" as we call them here ).

Technically the presentation was perfect, with the Dolby Digital logo at the start of the disc at least giving the audience a brief sample of what the system could do.

At the end, the guests didn't want to leave, they wanted to see another movie, which I guess is the best compliment they could have paid.

16. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

You have any pictures of your theater?

17. Crosley Carpenter

Crosley Carpenter
    Believe it or not, we haven't taken any yet, but will be sure to post some ASAP.

18. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

Clockstopper or Showtime it is! [​IMG] [​IMG]