What's new

Recommendations for Age of Sail movies, please (1 Viewer)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to come up with a fairly comprehensive list of good movies that are set on board tall ships during the Age of Sail. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm only interested in movies involving historical sailing ships (not movies like The Perfect Storm). Here are the ones I am familiar with:

Master and Commander--I can't wait until this comes out on DVD

The A&E Hornblower series--I really enjoy these movies and I look forward to the new episodes to be shown in the US in December

Cutthroat Island--not exactly top-notch, but great sound and some fun special effects

Pirates of the Carribean--I have not seen this yet, but I will at least rent it when it comes out, and maybe even purchase it depending on reviews

Others I have heard of and would like opinions on: Damn the Defiant, Captain Horatio Hornblower (Gregory Peck), and The Sea Hawk (is this coming to DVD soon?)

What other movies are out there? Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nick, are you asking strictly for movie recommendations or are you asking for recommendations of movies about sailing ships that are on DVD? I need to know if this should be moved to the Movies section otherwise. Thanks.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Get thee immediately to Columbia's DVD of DAMN THE DEFIANT!, a fine (properly widescreen) presentation of an excellent film. A well-acted, intelligent story. From what I understand, it may well be the closest film to MASTER & THE COMMANDER in tone and in execution.

Also check out the tongue-in-cheek high seas adventure film, THE CRIMSON PIRATE (1952), released on DVD this past summer from Warner. Very nice transfer, good fun.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
I'm wanting to pick up movies that are available on DVD right now or in the foreseeable future. Thanks for asking. I should have made that more clear in my initial post.

And thanks Peter for the info on Damn the Defiant! It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. It also stars Sir Alec Guiness, one of my all time favorite actors. I had a feeling it was good--Sir Alec rarely disappoints me. I will definitely pick this up as soon as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks