What's new

Recommendations for a sturdy 35" + speaker stand (1 Viewer)

AlexanderS

Second Unit
I've been in the market for some time but haven't been able to find anything I'm really satisfied with. Most of the taller stands are very light and extremely easy to knock over. I've tried models from Sanus and Omnimount and found both to be less than adequate. If anyone has a line on a good stand I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to keep the price under $100 if possible.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Check this place out.

They have tons of stuff. I almost bought a set of 23" stands from them...but I figure for 1/2 the cost or less, I can build stands just as nice. I have some woodworking skills. I've built tons of subwoofer boxes and some bookshelves...should turn out good.

BUT, FWIW, this place seems to have the best prices on the net, especially once you factor in the free shipping on all items. Shipping on 40 lb set of stands isn't cheap. :)

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Thanks for link Mike. I had passed by their site a few times before. My problem isn't so much finding a place to buy but actually picking the stand to buy.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ah, the old "but I like these...and those...and THOSE are nice..." dilemma, eh? :D

I fall into that trap too. I narrow it down to two...if it comes down to it, I'll flip a coin. :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Remember; anything worth buying is worth buying "right" the first time. If you buy crappy stands, you are just going to buy the "ones you really wanted" down the line. Buy nice stuff up front and you'll be happier in the long run.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Its not so much crappy vs. nice. Its more about staying inside a budget which Im already stretching to buy nicer cables. Since my mains are only satellites I don't really think I need something very heavy duty. I just want something that wont tip over when I tury my celiing fan on.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
That must be one helluva ceiling fan. :D Are you mains really tiny? Pics?

When I am faced with the infamous "budgetary constraints" I just save up until I can buy what I want. I detest compromise. ;)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
A couple of years ago I was looking for some 5 foot stands for my surrounds. I ended up making stands out of threaded rods. You could probably get these in 36" links and make your own stands. You could have 2 or 3 shelves, about 16" square, and place the speakers on the top shelf.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Thanks Marty but Im not much of a builder. As far as my mains go Ive got the Acoustic Research HC 6 speaker set. Maybe I should look at something like these sanus at Parts Express. Sanus 31" What do you guys think? With the shipping though I could probably find something locally. Jesus this sucks.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
A couple of years ago I was looking for some 5 foot stands for my surrounds. I ended up making stands out of threaded rods. You could probably get these in 36" links and make your own stands. You could have 2 or 3 shelves, about 16" square, and place the speakers on the top shelf.
I've made stands out of stuff bought cheap at my local Home Depot: two squares of 1/4 inch MDF, a length of threaded-end plumbing pipe, and two threaded sockets for the pipe. Screw the sockets to the middle of each square, thread the pipe into the sockets, spray paint it all black , and voila. For added stability, increase the area or thickness of the base, or use a heavier material for it (you could use stone and use masonry screws to secure the sockets). You can also fill the pipe with sand or shot, before screwing the top panel on. If you're feeling fancy you can by quarter-round or other decorative edging and glue it to the exposed wood edges before painting.

Total cost of a stand is less than $20 by this method, assuming you have some basic power tools (drill, saw --if not you can have the wood cut at the store).

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend the Plateau F36 speakers stand. They are study and hold my satilites great. I really like the look too. Affordable at under a 95 shipped I beleive. Check out racksandstands.com if you want. They are the best priced for these I found. Good luck

Mike

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Well I tried those Sanus 31" at Best Buy tonight. They were light as a feather. I ended up bringing home a pair of Sanus EFSATS stands. The box was much heavier than the 31" model. Ill let yall know how it turns out.

Mike - Thanks for the recommendations but I don't want to buy something that I can't at least try out first. If they were available locally I'd jump all over them. Too much of a pain to return ship, and costly too, especially with something this heavy.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Marty but Im not much of a builder.
I'm not either. Its nice to have friends that are. One of my best friends has a table saw and drill press that made the work alot easier. It is a very cheap and sturdy alternative, though.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
I wish I had friends like that. The only things my degenerate friends are good for is getting high, although this has its upside at times. I digress, since I do not have the required hardware I probably wouldn't be able to complete a job like that.

I just finished putting the EFSATS together and they're aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Ill give yall an update once I get some screws that work with the L brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks