Recommendations for a new receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wendell, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the market for a new receiver. they will be mated with my Axiom setup, M80, vp150se, qs8

Denon 4802
    Harman Kardon 8000
    onkyo 898
    Pioneer
    sony da5es as a pre/pro with an sunfire, parasound, sherbourne amp

this is just a list that I have come up with, please feel free to add any that you recommend.

it will be 50%Ht/50%music

thanks for all the input

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Do you mean the Pioneer Elite 49TX? That should be a top contender.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Pioneer 49TX if you can afford it, or the 47TX, or the 45TX, or the 43TX. They're all great receivers, it really just depends on your price range. I'm currently running a Pioneer 811S and hope to upgrade to the 43TX in the next couple of months.

4. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

my budget is around $1600. Im leaning towards the sony da5es which goes for about $600 for the processing and getting a separate 5-channel amp used. What do you guys think?

5. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

Just where are you finding the DA5ES for $600? I haven't seen it anywhere near $600! I bought mine for $800 delivered 5 months ago but have yet to see the price drop THAT MUCH!

6. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

Those Axiom speakers are very bright, so you need a receiver with a warm sound. H/K has the warmest sounding amps out of the brands you've mentioned.

7. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Either the 49TX or the AVR8000 would do a fine job.

I would lean toward the AVR8000 because it is less expensive, has logic7, and it (IMO) is more musical.

Best regards,

John

8. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Chances are you won't be able to find a 49TX in your price range. You could possibly get the 47TX, and definatly the 45TX or 43TX in your range, but w/ no money to spend on external amps. In my opinion, go w/ the 47TX and forget external amplification. The 47TX is the same as the 49TX, the only difference is the 47TX doesn't have the automatic calibration, but if you have an SPL meter (any HT buff should), you don't really need it. The 47TX is rated at 130x7 watts, but actually puts out around 147x7. It is also THX Ultra 2 certified and has dual Motorola SHARC processors (One for initial Dolby/DTS processing, one for THX Ultra2 post processing).

If you think you need the auto calibration, step down to the 45TX, but it only has 100x7 watts and only THX select certified.

The 43TX is the same as the 45TX, w/out automatic calibration.

9. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Weird that the 45tx has auto but not the 47tx. So the Pioneer amps are conservative in the measurements? Meaning the 45tx may have more than 100wpc? Im VERY interested in this as my next receiver and then receiver as a pre/pro.

10. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Pioneer was conservative on raiting the 49TX. I haven't seen actual tests of the 43TX and 45TX, but they may be stronger than what they are raited.

As for the 45TX having auto calibration and the 47TX not, it is because the 49TX and 47TX were releases at the same time about a year or so ago (not sure on time), and the only difference was the auto calibration.

The 43TX and 45TX were also released at the same time (a few weeks ago, if that long), and again, one w/ auto calibration, and one without.

Essentially you decide between THX Ultra2 w/ 130x7 or THX Select w/ 100x7, and once you've made that decision, THEN you decide if you want auto calibration.

Kinda the same way some Chevy Cavaliers have power windows, even though some Camaros don't. Hope that stretch of a car analogy makes some sense.

11. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Thanks for clearing that up. [​IMG]
    By the way, the Elite receivers look so darn nice. They would look absolutely great on anyone's rack.