Recommendations for 7 Channel Amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnCro, Feb 5, 2003.

1. JohnCro

JohnCro Extra

I would appreciate recommendations for a seven channel Balanced amplifier in the $1,500 - $2,2500 range. It will be powering a Sunfire Theater Grand III processor and Martin Logan Speakers.
    Thanks

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Marantz SR9200

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

I can recommend the Outlaw 770 without any problems at all. It is 200 watts RMS x 7, weighs in at 90 lbs and makes extensive use of massive heat sinks for cooling instead of fans. Each output module has 10 discrete output devices, 22,000+ uF of total filter capacitance. THD is less than 0.05% at rated output. So this is a really clean amp. It is priced at $1,799.

Parker

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

There are only a few 200/7 amps out there. From what I recall there is the B&K 200.7, the Sherbourn 200/7 and the Outlaw 770. If it were me I would have chosen the B&K amp as I am familiar with its warm sound and good built quality. Also ATI amps (same OEM for Outlaw amps) IMO are slightly bright sounding. I have no experience with Sherbourn but from what I have heard they are quite neutral sounding. So there you have, a warm sounding amp (B&K) a neutral amp (Sherbourn) and a forward sounding amp (Outlaw). Based on your speaker timbre and your personal listening preference you can choose either of these. I have personally listened to ML speakers hooked to B&K amps and I think the combo sounds very transparent and airy. In any case I think you would be happy with any one of these.

Best of luck.

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

6. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I called Sunfire last Friday and asked if they have a 7 channel amplifier. I was told that the Sunfire Cinema 7 and Sunfire Cinema 7 Signature will be available in March.
    I didn't ask about prices.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

JC- If you listen to a lot of music, I would recommend getting a separate 2 channel amp and a 5 channel amp. I did this a little while ago, and I really like the results (plus I can kid myself that it's environmentally better in terms of not wasting power for channels that aren't needed). All of the above mentioned manufacturers do 2 and 5 channel versions. The B&K's are really nice, Aragon too, but a little pricey. Might be able to find B&K's "last year's models", the Ref 2220 and 7250 cheap(er).