Recommendations for 60's British comedies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary->dee, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Does anyone have any good recommendations for British comedies from the 60's? I'm going to slowly start to explore some important 60's titles like The Graduate(seen it many times, just don't own it yet), Midnight Cowboy(not a comedy but great movie), and more. Ideally I'd like to own some British movies on DVD as well.

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I'm not sure what's British off the top of my head in many cases (Pink Panther?), but the ones that immediately springs to mind is Dr. Strangelove and A Hard Day's Night

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Dr. Strangelove is a classic no doubt, but could it really be classified as a British comedy?

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Three off the top of my head:

The Knack
    I'll Never Forget What's is Name
    Morgan

Regretably, there are quite a few good British comedies not on DVD yet such as Bedazzled, The Wrong Box, Georgy Girl ...

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Cool thanks, Jay. I'll look into those titles. Bedazzled is one I'd definitely like to have! Stars Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore right? I caught part of it on PBS recently.

6. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

This can be a really long list- there are lots of different types of British comedies- I myself really like the droll kind of Alec Guiness films. Peter Sellars also- The Party is really funny.

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Jay beat me to it, I was going to mention The Knack and Morgan.

Also I urge you to seek out the original Bedazzled, in widescreen if possible. (I believe it was released on LD this way). In my opinion, Dudley Moore is not funny but Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke are incredibly funny.

8. Rain

Rain Producer

I'll Never Forget What's is Name
    Morgan

[​IMG]

Tom Jones is great also, though the DVD leaves much to be desired.

If you want to go a little earlier, try The Horse's Mouth with Alec Guiness.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's out of print, but Help! is a hillarious Beatles comedy.

It usually gets overshadowed by A Hard Day's Night, but is just as good.

10. george kaplan

Unless I'm badly mistaken it was made at Shepperton studios in England, so yes it is a British comedy.

11. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I want to say I remember years ago seeing some wacky,wacky 60's British comical movies titled something like "Doctor"so and so series or something. Maybe someone else out there remembers something about it. I just remember one show that was about a bunch of interns and nurses and doctors at a hospital or school getting into a bunch of hanky-panky slarstick. Good luck!

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'm not sure where Dr. Strangelove was shot, but it was done by an American studio and director with mostly American actors and opened in the US first. I'd say that makes it an American movie.

13. george kaplan

Well, after reading this I decided to make sure. And sure enough every resource I checked list is as a British film. You know Rebecca was by a British director and mainly British actors, but that doesn't make it a British film.

See for example, http://us.imdb.com/Title?0057012 and check out country

Like I said I checked 6 different resources, and they all have it down as a British film (sometimes listing the American studio as a 'production partner' meaning they financed some of it, but that doesn't make it an American film.

14. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

This would be "Carry On, Doctor". There are many "Carry On..." films which are available on DVD. (If that's your cup of tea!)

15. Ken New

Ken New Agent

Page is quite right about "Carry On Doctor" and there were several other 'medically' titled films in the series, like "Carry On Nurse". However, some of the early "Carry Ons" (they started in 1958) might seem rather basic and their humour may not travel well. However, some later productions stand up very well. Even the critics praised (mostly) "Carry on Henry" and "Carry on Cleo", a parody of the then-new Liz Taylor "Cleopatra" that has genuine wit. I believe all the "Carry Ons" are on DVD but I'm not sure about their Region 1 availability - and beware if you buy Region 2, many of the "Carry Ons" are not available in widescreen.

Going back to Karl Luph's "Doctor So and so" comment, he could be referring to another popular comedy series that started with "Doctor in the House" in 1954 and continued into the 60s, although not as long as the "Carry On" pictures. The first several Doctor movies starred Dirk Bogarde. However, that's all useless information if you're looking for DVDs because the Doctor films don't appear to be on anything other than VHS anywhere.

16. Karl_Luph

Thanks Ken and Page for the info. i knew someone would remember the Doctors movies. Sorry to see they aren't available on dvd, I thought they possibly were.Maybe someday! Ken , you are correct, it was Dirk Bogarde in those movies. How about Benny Hill? He was probably in some British 60's comedies.

17. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

18. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Karl,

If you're interested in the "Carry On..." films, they were released in Region 1 last yearby Anchor Bay.

For more than four decades, it was the best-loved and most successful comedy phenomenon in British cinema history. Today, these movies remain classics of inspired farce, saucy fun and the cheeky peak of distinctly English humour. "The Carry On Collection!" includes 12 of the series' best and most popular movies featuring such legendary "Carry On" stars as Sid James, Joan Sims, Peter Butterworth, Kenneth Williams, Barbara Windsor, Jim Dale, Kenneth Connor, Charles Hawtrey, Bernard Bresslaw, Hattie Jacques and many more. And if that wasn't enough messin' about, there's also "That's Carry On!" - the unprecedented celebration of greatest bits from twenty eight different "Carry On" films, available only in this collection. Programs are: "Carry On Regardless" (1961, 90min.); "Carry On Cruising" (1962, 89min.); "Carry On Teacher" (1959, 86min.); "Carry On Constable" (1960, 86min.); "Carry On Nurse" (1958, 86min.); "Carry On Sergeant" (1958, 84min.); "Carry On Cowboy" (1965, 93min.); "Carry On Screaming!" (1966, 97min.); "Carry On Cleo" (1964, 92min.); "Carry On Jack" (1964, 91min.); "Carry On Spying" (1964, 87min.); "Carry On Cabby" (1963, 91min.).

19. Karl_Luph

thanks for the info guys!

20. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I heartily recommend "Carry On Cruising" and "Carry On Cleo".
    I'd also like to recommend any comedy with James Robertson Justice in - he's always very funny. For example, "Very Important Person" (1961) (sadly not on DVD)

I hope you don't neglect the decades prior to the 60's - classics like "The Lavendar Hill Mob", "Kind Hearts and Coronets", the aforementioned "Doctor..." series, 1949's "Whisky Galore" (AKA Tight Little Island), the early "St Trinian's" films, etc.