What's new

Recommendations for <$600 AV Reciever (1 Viewer)

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
Current setup:
AV Receiver is H/K AV75 which I have outgrown
Toshiba DVD player with component out
inFocus 4805
VCR
Digital cable box
2 TiVos (Series 1 and 2)
Energy Take 2 speakers
-----
Not interested in (don't need):
Anything to do with satellite radio
7 channel. 5.1 is fine for me
-----
Want:
-Plug all this into the receiver and have everything come out as either a single HDMI or component outputs. Want it to do all the switching for me.
-Good audio
-EASY setup (not necessarily automated): i.e., I had no problems setting up my h/k avr75, but when I set up my father-in-law's sony av receiver, it about drove me mad trying to get it to output 5 channel. It's user interface was horrid.
-----
Don't think I care about:
1080 upconvert. inFocus will be with me for a while

Any kind folks with suggestions? What about the Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV? or the Denon AVR-2307CI? I think they are a bit more than I need...are there lesser models that would fit what I need?

Thanks so much!
Rod

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
I'm sure, but as I said, it's a bit pricey and does a bit more than I want (I don't need 1080). Any other suggestions?

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
What about the Onkyo TX-SR604?

I know it doesn't upconvert to HDMI, but maybe I don't need that. Let me know if I'm thinking things wrong please...

The inFocus accepts component and HDMI inputs.

The DVD player is component,
The vcr is either composite or s-video (depending on which vcr I keep)
The TiVos are s-video.

Since the Onkyo converts composite and s-video to component, am I correct in thinking those signals would be sent to the inFocus through the component cables. Should I hook up my computer (HDMI) to the setup or get an HDMI DVD player in the future, those signals will go to the inFocus via the HDMI cable, correct? If so, then all I would have to do is switch the inFocus to the correct input.

Question: Does the TX-SR604 do video switching?
Question: How easy is it to set up?

Would the Onkyo be a good match for what I need?

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Just about every AVR with video inputs will at least switch video, and most of them will transcode less video signals (like composite and s-video) to component video. However, not all receivers will actually convert analog video signals to digital to be output over HDMI.

The AVR-2307CI is actually a very good receiver, but at $800 retail, it's cheapest of their lineup to offer HDMI. But if you don't absolutely NEED HDMI, the AVR-1907 is in your price range and will upconvert to component video. Onkyo sound has never really been my cup of tea...

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I also recommend the Yamaha x2500 it is 499 at tweeter right now!! 130 watts per channell 7.1 THX select!!

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

$539 is a really good deal, but be careful when purchasing Denon products online. They have a rather strict factory warranty policy (they won't honor warranties on products purchased at unauthorized dealers). This is Denon's current list of authorized online dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread